Excel Processing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Does anyone know of an extension to process Excel files?

This must have the ability to read and write cells.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:04 AM

Answers

• There is this one here - haven't used it but it may be worth a look.  There are others that just write out an csv, but not what you want I think.  It wouldn't be too hard to write one if fancy having a go.
    • Marked as answer by kirk_kaf Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:14 PM

All replies

• There is this one here - haven't used it but it may be worth a look.  There are others that just write out an csv, but not what you want I think.  It wouldn't be too hard to write one if fancy having a go.
    • Marked as answer by kirk_kaf Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:35 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Thank you Litdev I will take a look at the extension.

I probably should give it ago making my own extension, I took a VB.NET course back in 2008 and got a MCP certificate I believe (will have to checkup on that). I then moved away from programming and just using SB in my spare time, so I haven't touched VB for a couple of years now and find it alittle daunting to have to learn all the basic concepts again.

C# seems more popular now days so I might give that ago, either that or IronPython.

If anyone has any advise on where to begin please let me know.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:43 PM
  • The library to which Litdev provided a link is the Excel library I use even in C# applications. It is very robust and works very well. It also take care of all the heavy lifting such as COM Marshaling. I recommend it highly. 
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Another possibility, depending on what you want to do, is to use a VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) macro inside EXCEL, where everything can be controlled programatically.
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:45 AM