SQL Server 2008 r2 Standard for Small Business Can't Install RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SBS Server 2003  with 4 Standard 2003 Servers (SP2) in the domain. I'm trying to install the SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard for Small Business on 1 of the Server 2003 Standard. When I run the prerequites, everything passes, including the Operating System. During the install, SQL checks again, and everything passes, including the OS. But on the actual install, the install fails saying that the OS is not supported? The back of the box states that Server 2003 Standard (SP2) is supported. I have tried a limited install (Db Engine, Client Tools Connectivity, SQL Server Books Online and Mgt Tools-Basic) with the same error.  .NET Framework 3.5 is installed. I tried installing to one of the Standard 2003 Servers while not on the Domain, and rec'd the same error. Can anyone give me any insight as to what the issue may be? Thanks
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition for Small Business is the only SQL Server edition you will find with such restrictions for installation. Also the SBS platform has some restrictions also. With a different OS and other SQL Server edition you may have a better experience.

Have a good day and thank you for participating on MSDN forums! 

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:40 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:21 PM

All replies

• I have a SBS Server 2003  with 4 Standard 2003 Servers (SP2) in the domain. I'm trying to install the SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard for Small Business on 1 of the Server 2003 Standard. When I run the prerequites, everything passes, including the Operating System. During the install, SQL checks again, and everything passes, including the OS. But on the actual install, the install fails saying that the OS is not supported? The back of the box states that Server 2003 Standard (SP2) is supported. I have tried a limited install (Db Engine, Client Tools Connectivity, SQL Server Books Online and Mgt Tools-Basic) with the same error.  .NET Framework 3.5 is installed. I tried installing to one of the Standard 2003 Servers while not on the Domain, and rec'd the same error. Can anyone give me any insight as to what the issue may be? Thanks
    • Merged by Stephanie Lv Monday, October 3, 2011 11:56 AM duplicated thread
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 9:36 PM
  • Hello,

Please see the following article about requirements to install SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition for Small Business:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/joaol/archive/2011/07/11/sql-server-2008-r2-setup-failing-on-windows-2008-r2-sbs.aspx   

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Thanks Alberto. I saw that earlier but I'm still confused as to why the back of the package lists Server 2003 Standard SP2 as a supported OS. Very misleading system requirements from Microsoft. Here is the exact wording:

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) Ultimate, Enterprise, or Business Edition. Windows Server 2008 SP2 or Datacenter, Enterprise, Standard, Web Foundation Server Edition; Windows Server 2003 SP2 or R2 SP2 Standard, Enterprise, or Datacenter; Windows XP SP3 Professional, Profesional N, Media Center, or Tablet PC Edition; Windows Essential Business Server 2008 Premium; or Windows 7 Ultimate, Enterprise, or Professional Edition.

According to the system requirements on the back of the package, this should run on a Windows Server 2003 SP2 system, but it doesn't. Very misleading.

Friday, September 30, 2011 3:41 AM
  • Hello,

Exactly. The blog I posted above says it is not supported on Windows Server 2003. It is supported on Windows Small Business Server 2011 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard only.

If you bought the Windows Server 2003 with software assurance, you may be entitled to a free upgrade to Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition. Please verify that.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, September 30, 2011 4:27 AM
  • This was supposed to be a simple database program to store our Exchange email on. It is one of the options thatthe software can use. SQL is becoming a nightmare...there are way to many versions of SQL to know what software will run on what platforms. First foray into SQL, and it's not a good experience.  Think I'll just go back to SQL Express. Very disappointed that the product system requirements listed on the software package lead one to believe that it can run on Windows Server 2003 Standard.  I should no better than trust Microsoft! Thanks for your help.
    Friday, September 30, 2011 4:48 AM
  • Hello,

SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition for Small Business is the only SQL Server edition you will find with such restrictions for installation. Also the SBS platform has some restrictions also. With a different OS and other SQL Server edition you may have a better experience.

Have a good day and thank you for participating on MSDN forums! 

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Thursday, October 6, 2011 12:40 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2011 1:21 PM