How to create a time reporting system in WSS 3.0? RRS feed

• Question

• I need to create a time reporting system in WSS 3.0.  I know there is a time management template and want to modify it as follows.  What I need it to do is the following report on time on a daily basis, I don't care about an individual project.  If someone worked 8 hour othen 8 hours is reported for the day, if they did not work then 8 hours needs to be reported as vacation or sick or holiday etc.  There is to be an employee table, a holiday table. The employee can only see there own time.

At month end I need to report on time worked, vaction, and sick time.  Only the admin can see every employee. 

If this cannot be done by modifying a template, I thought about doing it using info path forms. Can you comment?

ANother solution is to create UI web parts and deploy them to a site can you comment on that?

Thank you

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 21, 2011 5:45 PM WSS 3.0 is not sufficient for a Title. Title expanded
    Friday, January 21, 2011 3:01 PM

Answers

• Hey Billk56,

This blog may be a good start for you: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/melissamacbeth/archive/2006/03/21/557531.aspx

Also, you need a more descriptive title, no one would know what your issue is based on your current title.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Molskow - SharePoint Architect - Linked-In - SharePoint Gypsy
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Friday, January 28, 2011 5:40 AM
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:38 PM
  • Hey William,

Yes to all.  The templates are easy to modify, configure and extend (assuming you know SharePoint). 

There are a variety of ways to do monthly reporting, but again, you will have to have some kind of design in mind to start with because the forums aren't for designing your projects, they are for trouble shooting your design. 

The lists contain an advanced setting that allows you to restrict users to read and edit access for only their own items.  From the list page follow this click path Settings -> List Settings -> General Settings (Heading) -> Advanced Settings -> Item Level Permission and then set the configuration appropriately.

You can make a user as the site administrator by granting them "Full Control" permissions.

I hope that helps!

Tom

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hey Billk56,

This blog may be a good start for you: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/melissamacbeth/archive/2006/03/21/557531.aspx

Also, you need a more descriptive title, no one would know what your issue is based on your current title.

Thanks!

Tom

Friday, January 21, 2011 5:38 PM
  • > Also, you need a more descriptive title, no one would know what your issue is based on your current title.

Already spotted and amended before I saw your post, but you are 100% correct. (My "favourite" title today was "SharePoint").

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Friday, January 21, 2011 5:46 PM
  • I need to build a time reporting system.  We are running with WSS 3.0 and would like to use the templates that sharepoint provides on time reporting.

Are these templates easily modifable?  I don't need to report by project for each employee.  I need to report if they worked that day and if not was it a holiday, vacation day , sick day etc.

Can I do monthly reporting off this. IE; total sick days/time, total vaction days/time. 

I also need to restrict things so each employee sees only there time.

Needs to be able to have someone act as an administrator.

William Klein
    • Merged by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 21, 2011 8:57 PM Same poster; similar question
    Friday, January 21, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Hey William,

Yes to all.  The templates are easy to modify, configure and extend (assuming you know SharePoint). 

There are a variety of ways to do monthly reporting, but again, you will have to have some kind of design in mind to start with because the forums aren't for designing your projects, they are for trouble shooting your design. 

The lists contain an advanced setting that allows you to restrict users to read and edit access for only their own items.  From the list page follow this click path Settings -> List Settings -> General Settings (Heading) -> Advanced Settings -> Item Level Permission and then set the configuration appropriately.

You can make a user as the site administrator by granting them "Full Control" permissions.

I hope that helps!

Tom

Monday, January 24, 2011 5:05 PM