none
Error connecting to the new SQL Azure Management Portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I´m getting the following error when I try connecting to the new SQL Azure Management Portal.

"There was an error connecting to the server."
    "A strong name key pair is required to emit a strong-named dynamic assembly."

I have no trouble connecting via Visual Studio or code.

Please anyone??

• Edited by Kjartan6 Sunday, September 11, 2011 12:35 PM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 10:12 AM

Answers

• Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are aware of an issue with Silverlight 5.0 RC/beta runtime where the SQL Azure Management portal fails on login and errors out with the message you saw “A strong name key pair is required to emit a strong-named dynamic assembly”. This was mentioned in the blog post  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/09/10/what-s-new-in-sql-azure-management-portal-part-ii-of-ii.aspx (System requirements & Known Issues). We are working on addressing this and an update will be rolled out in a few weeks’ time

Could you please verify if you have Silverlight 5.0 Beta or RC installed on the client you are trying to access the portal from. If that indeed is the issue, ,we request you to roll back to Silverlight 4.0 runtime for the time being.

• Proposed as answer by max herzig Monday, September 12, 2011 6:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kjartan6 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:38 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:20 PM

All replies

• I think you may not Installed SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1. (SQL Management Studio) Please install and try. July 2011 service release requires as to install SP1 inorder to proper connection and functionality with SQL Azure

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/07/13/announcing-sql-azure-july-2011-service-release.aspx

K.Mohamed Faizal, Solution Architect, Singapore, @kmdfaizal
    http://faizal-comeacross.blogspot.com/ |AzureUG.SG
    Monday, September 12, 2011 3:28 AM
  • The issue isn't SSMS, it is the SQL Azure Management Portal (web-based) that you get to via windows.azure.com. I have the exact same problem. It is obviously a new interface, but when I enter my username and password, I get the same error message. 

Also, I see the Azure Management site ribbon got an update as well:

I'm not going to try it, but I really hope the Drop button gives you a lot of warnings, because making the Manage button tiny now and putting it adjacent to the Drop button in the least forgiving dimension is a terrible idea.

Monday, September 12, 2011 5:50 PM
  • Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are aware of an issue with Silverlight 5.0 RC/beta runtime where the SQL Azure Management portal fails on login and errors out with the message you saw “A strong name key pair is required to emit a strong-named dynamic assembly”. This was mentioned in the blog post  http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/09/10/what-s-new-in-sql-azure-management-portal-part-ii-of-ii.aspx (System requirements & Known Issues). We are working on addressing this and an update will be rolled out in a few weeks’ time

Could you please verify if you have Silverlight 5.0 Beta or RC installed on the client you are trying to access the portal from. If that indeed is the issue, ,we request you to roll back to Silverlight 4.0 runtime for the time being.

• Proposed as answer by max herzig Monday, September 12, 2011 6:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Kjartan6 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:38 AM
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:20 PM
  • I had SL5 RC installed. I went back to SL 4 and it did work. Thanks.
    Monday, September 12, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Confirmed! I have SL5 RC.
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 9:37 AM
  • I can also verify I am using Silverlight 5.0 RC when I am trying to access the portal and I receive the same error.  I guess I will just have to polish my SQL and use SQL Server which communicates without difficulty until patch is released as I am enjoying the SL5 features.  When is patch expected?

Many thanks.

Ed N
    Thursday, October 6, 2011 1:25 PM