Passing a Multi-value parameter to the ReportViewer control RRS feed

• Question

• User1293116676 posted

I am hooking up a site with an embeded ReportViewer control. I need to pass a Multi-value parameter (string data type) to the report. I have tried using the following methods but each time the report errors with a parameter value not set exception.

List<ReportParameter> paramList = new List<ReportParameter>();

List<string> paramValue = GetParamValue();

// method 1 comma delimited string

string s = String.Join(",", paramValue.ToArray());

// method 2 carriage return new line delimited string

string s = String.Join("/r/n", paramValue.ToArray()) + "/r/n";

// method 3 values as a string array

string[] s = paramValue.ToArray();

paramList.Add(new ReportParameter("ParamName", s, false));

Obviously the above code is not exactly what I am using but it does show the variations I have tried.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,

Rob.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:52 AM

All replies

• User-433101074 posted

This is the VB code I am using...on the report side, the parameter names have to match EXACTLY to be picked up.

HTH

Mark  

Dim
    myparam As ReportParameter

Dim myparams As New List(Of ReportParameter)

myparam = New ReportParameter("Letter", Server.HtmlDecode(Activity.Description))

myparams.Add(myparam)

myparam =
    New ReportParameter("FSize", Fsize)

myparams.Add(myparam)

ReportViewer1.LocalReport.SetParameters(myparams)

Thursday, October 23, 2008 10:29 AM
  • User1293116676 posted

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. The parameter names do match exactly. I have also had a colleague confirm in case I'm going blind [:)]

I am passing five other single value parameters of various data types without any issues. It is only the Multi-value parameter I am struggleing with.

Thanks,

Rob.

Friday, October 24, 2008 4:00 AM
  • User1293116676 posted

OK, I think the intellisense documentation is a bit missleading. In order to add a Multi-value parameter you cannot use a string or string array. Instead you have to create an new instance of the ReportParameter class. If you check the values property it is of type StringCollection. in order to add the string array to the StringCollection you can use the StringCollection.AddRange(string[]) method. E.g.

List<ReportParameter> paramList = new List<ReportParameter>();

ReportParameter param = new ReportParameter("ParamName");

// Create the string array of values to pass

string[] values = new string[]{"x", "y", "z"};

// Add a range of elements from an array to the end of the StringCollection.

param.Values.AddRange(GetStringArray());

// Add the parameter to the list of ReportParameters

paramList.Add(param);

// Set the reports parameters

this.ReportViewer1.ServerReport.SetParameters(paramList);

I hope this helps someone else out, or was I just being stupid [:)]

Friday, October 24, 2008 8:53 AM
  • User1978758036 posted

Its Work perfect for me

Thansk a lot sir

Thursday, May 14, 2009 8:29 AM
  • User2088379251 posted

Hi All,

I’m hoping that someone here can help me. I tried to apply the answers above, but no luck. Also, I'm using VB, not C#. I’m a relative newbie to SSRS/MVReportViewer, & .net. I have a vb.net app that will set report parameters and send them to a “ReportViewer” widget that will in turn run a remote report that was created in VS2005 and uses SQLServer2005.

I’ve been spinning my wheels for days on some of the following questions:

- In my report query I have an IN clause (IN (@accountlist)) that is setup as a multi-value string parameter. When I set the report parameter “accountlist” to one value it works perfectly, more than one, it fails. I have tried many formats for the list – “1,2,3″ or “‘1′,’2′,’3′”, etc……….

Here’s my VB code that sets up and runs the report:

'Set the report Processing Mode
    ReportViewer1.ProcessingMode = Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ProcessingMode.Remote

'Set the Report Viewer - Server URL & Report Path
    ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportServerUrl = New Uri("http://localhost/reportserver")
    ReportViewer1.ServerReport.ReportPath = "/ljm reports/" & LJM_Reporter.ReportName

'Setup parameter collection
    Dim pInfo As Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameterInfoCollection
    Dim paramList As New Generic.List(Of Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter)

'Insert parameter list - note - LJM_Reporter.AccountList is a string
    paramList.Add(New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter("accountlist", LJM_Reporter.AccountList, False))

'Here are some examples of formats that have not worked
    'paramList.Add(New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter("accountlist", "'0000R9Y199', '00001366W7'", False))
    'paramList.Add(New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportParameter("accountlist", '0000R9Y199','00001366W7' , False))

ReportViewer1.ServerReport.SetParameters(paramList)

'Run the Report
    Me.ReportViewer1.RefreshReport()

I have come across a few postings on help sites that mentioned that a spliter (tokenize values that are in my parameter string and delimited by a comma) function (UDF) is needed for stored procedures. I am not using a stored procedure but thought this might be part of my problem anyway. My report query was created in VS2005 in the data tab of my report project. Do I need a spiter for this report query? Interestingly enough, when I run the report by itself in preview mode and input multiple values from the report parameter area on top for account_list it works.

- I’m also running into problems with the UDF function spliter. I created the function in SQL Server and it works fine. I put it into my select statement as such – “IN (SELECT item FROM dbo.fnSplit(@account_list, [,]) AS fnSplit_1)”. When I run the report I now get several errors. I get “must declare the scalar variable “@accountlist” and I also get one for another parameter for some strange reason. Since this is not a SP, I’m not sure how to resolve.

I have other questions as well, but these are the one’s that are driving me crazy at the moment. I can provide more detail if needed or my rambling is unclear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    John

Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:01 PM
  • User937573798 posted

Hi Rob

Could you share that bit of code with me where you're passing single values.

Thanks, Jakub

Monday, June 13, 2011 11:22 AM