Database Mirroring RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have multiple databases on each SQL Server 2005 instance on a Cluster that need to be mirrored on to a single SQL Server 2005 instance residing on a remote cluster.

Now to setup database mirroring for each of these databases of a single instance, should I use unique Mirroring endpoints with unique port numbers for each of these databases or should I use the same endpoint for all of these databases of a single instances?

Also, regarding creation of the logins on the mirror, should I create only those logins on the Principal instance that are mapped to Users of the mirrored databases?

Could anyone help me with this?

Thank You,

Yours,

SQLBuddy

Monday, July 6, 2009 4:59 PM

All replies

• I think only one mirroring endpoint is configuration per instance of SQL Server.   Once a mirroring endpoint is setup for mirroring one database, you can use the same endpoint for mirroring other databases.  So your only option is to use the same endpoint for all databases.

It does make sense to only copy logins that are used in the databases you mirror.  If logins change a lot then look at using the transfer logins task

On the subject of mirroring & clustering you should also change your PARTNER TIMEOUT to something sufficiently large enough to prevent the db's failing over to the mirror before the fail over to the other cluster node (unless your expected behaviour is to fail-over to the mirror)

• Proposed as answer by Zelocka Tuesday, July 7, 2009 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 1:34 PM