MySQLProv not registered on local machine problem! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

I was wondering if someone can help me out here. I am trying to access a mysql database from my wcf web service. I can't seem to get it to work. It tells me that they provider isn't registered on my machine. I have tried installing mydirect.net, mysql connector, myoledb, and more. I don't understand why it doesn't see the provider or if I am using the wrong connection string. Here is my connection string:

Code Block

string strConn = @"Provider=MySQLProv;" + "SERVER=" + host + ";DB=" + db + ";UID=" + user + ";PASSWORD=" + password + ";";

any ideas on what I can do? Thank you. Smile If you need any other information to help me with this problem, please tell me. This is an urgent issue because it puts my entire website upgrade project on hold. If anybody can help at all, it would be great!
    Friday, November 30, 2007 3:19 AM

Answers

• Ok, that very well could have been the case. I am running under windows vista, so permissions is an issue when it comes to that. Should I elevate Visual Studio 2008 to run in admin mode then? Also, the provider for the mysql .net connector is MySQLProv isn't it? I just want to be sure that my connection string is correct for sure. Smile Thank you for the reply! Smile

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:18 PM

All replies

• The account under which your service is executing probably does not have sufficient permissions to access the resource. You can either change the account or change the permissions for the current service account.

Friday, November 30, 2007 1:42 PM
  • Ok, that very well could have been the case. I am running under windows vista, so permissions is an issue when it comes to that. Should I elevate Visual Studio 2008 to run in admin mode then? Also, the provider for the mysql .net connector is MySQLProv isn't it? I just want to be sure that my connection string is correct for sure. Smile Thank you for the reply! Smile

Friday, November 30, 2007 9:18 PM
  • I tried running in administrative mode and elevating the ASP.NET Machine account to Administrator and that still didn't fix the problem. I am not sure why. Any ideas?

Friday, November 30, 2007 10:37 PM
  • You may want to verify your connection string syntax. What I see looks to be a little different but I can't tell for certain whether it's valid or not.

http://www.connectionstrings.com/?carrier=mysql

You may also want to see if you can connect outside of a service. This might nail down the issue a bit more.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 3:51 PM