none
WCF vs WSE 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• I enjoyed reading Aaron Skonnard article, especially the part where he answers the question:

What features does WCF provide for developers that ASMX 2.0 and WSE 3.0 don't?

But... I didn't understand - Since WSE 3.0 runs on .NET 2.0, in what scenario (if any) should one use WSE 3.0 over WCF ? Is there any feature inside WSE 3.0 that is not inside WCF (emphasize on security)?

Thanks.

Monday, April 3, 2006 6:53 PM

Answers

• The primary case where you'd use WSE 3.0 over WCF is the case where you don't have or can't use WCF.  ;-)

The main point of that section was to show that when you don't have the luxury of moving towards WCF immediately, WSE 3.0 still gives you many similar benefits.

-aaron

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 9:50 PM

All replies

• I think you should look at it from the WS-* specification point of view. WSE is kind of a subset of the specs and WCF encompasses quite a lot more.
    So thinking of it from a comparison point of view i think WCF can be said to be WSE(WS Security specifications is what I mean)  on the wire and much more. WCF is unified programming model and its where things are headed.

Now from a programmers point of view, WCF is in a way very extensible and there are quite a few knobs that you can turn and implement to get almost any kind of communication requirement solved.

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 4:52 AM
  • The primary case where you'd use WSE 3.0 over WCF is the case where you don't have or can't use WCF.  ;-)

The main point of that section was to show that when you don't have the luxury of moving towards WCF immediately, WSE 3.0 still gives you many similar benefits.

-aaron

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 9:50 PM
  • "Can't use WCF" (but wants to..) :

1. Isn't WCF, although in beta states, as mature as WSE 3.0? Is WSE 3.0 a widely used technology? proven in projects (considering the fact it is new to support the .NET 2.0 platform)?

2. Will I have to do lots of work in order to upgrade? ( Since API,Configuration, Attributes.. all is different).

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 10:06 PM
  • Dan,

There is no choice if your machine runs on the Windows 2000 platforms.

Roman

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 10:08 PM
  • You are right..

My questions are in the case you can run WinFX (XP SP2, 2003 Server, Vista, etc.)

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 10:10 PM
  • If you stick with the ASMX 2.0 programming model when using WSE 3.0, you'll have a pretty smooth migration path.

This means using the ASMX attributes and factoring service contracts into interfaces. Then use WSE 3.0 to enhance those services with MTOM or message-based security via configuration/policy (or perhaps to achieve some hosting/transport variations). These types of solutions will migrate without too much effort -- it will require changing attribute names and updating the configuration files etc.

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 10:45 PM