FAQ Item: How do I add a group to a built-in Tab in Word Ribbon and how do I add a tab before a built-in Tab? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I add a group to a built-in Tab in Word  Ribbon and how do I add a tab before a built-in Tab?
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:26 PM

Answers

• In Visual Studio Tools for Office, we can use Ribbon (XML) or Ribbon (Designer) to customize the Office UI ribbon. 

1. For Ribbon (XML) approach, add a new item of Ribbon (XML) to the Add-in project. Then, we can customize the ribbon.xml like the following,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<customUI xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/2006/01/customui" onLoad="Ribbon_Load">

<ribbon>

<tabs>

<tab idMso="TabInsert">

<group id="group1" insertBeforeMso="GroupFont">

<button id="button1" size="large" label="button1"

onAction="OnClick" imageMso="L"></button>

</group>

</tab>

<tab id="TabAddIns" label="Tab1" insertBeforeMso="TabInsert">

<group id="group2"

label="group2">

</group>

</tab>

</tabs>

</ribbon>

</customUI>

The idMso property is used to find the built-in Tab/Group/Control. The above ribbon.xml adds a group into the built-in Tab Insert. It also adds a tab before the Tab Insert.

2. For Ribbon (Designer) approach, we need to add a new item of Ribbon (Visual Designer). To add a group to a built-in Tab (Insert Tab), we can follow the following steps,

1.      Click the TabAddins (Built-In) tab to select it.

2.      In the Properties window, expand the ControlId property, and then set OfficeId to TabInsert. Then we can drag a button onto the tab Insert’s default group.

3.      Click the group1 to select it.

4.      In the Properties window, expand the Position property, click the drop-down arrow next to the PositionType property, and then click BeforeOfficeId.

5.      Set the OfficeId property to GroupFont.

To insert a custom tab before a built-in tab, click this Ribbon to select it. By clicking Tab property in Properties window, open Tab Collection Editor dialog, and add a tab to this Ribbon. In Properties window of this added tag,

1.      Expand the Position property, click the drop-down arrow next to the PositionType property, and then click BeforeOfficeId.

2.      Set the OfficeId property to TabInsert.

• Marked as answer by MSDN FAQ Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:26 PM
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:26 PM