Metro app to Display driver communication (Display hardware not getting enumerating)

Question

• Hi,
    I am developing Metro app to communicate with display driver to retrieve the display hardware's capabilities. The display hardware is sitting on PCI bus (In DeviceManager > Under 'Display Adapter').

As per MSDN sample (code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Device-Enumeration-Sample-a6e45169#content) first device must be enumerated. Even device must be listed in 'Control panel > Devices & Printers page'.

But my PNP graphics device which sits on PCI bus is not getting enumerated nor listed in the 'Devices and printers page'.

Went through MSDN links & blogs and got to know that Metro app can communicate only with real PNP devices only. Not sure why my PNP device is not getting enumerated by the OS.

I understand proper METADATA for the device can be generated only when device gets enumerated properly.

The problem is - I am getting some METADATA based on the hardwareID provided, but validation of the METADATA failing because the display hardware not getting enumerating.

Please help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,
    Nitish

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:16 PM

All replies

• Moving to the hardware and devices forum.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, October 2, 2014 1:52 PM
  • Please reply.
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 6:53 AM
  • Hello,

Do you still need help with this?

-James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, October 30, 2014 8:00 PM