none
Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working

Question

• While I am working on VS 2015 suddenly I got the following Error Message

"Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 has stopped working"

When I check the event Viewer I found the detail error message, Does any one know why this is comes ? What is the solution for this.

Application: devenv.exe
    Framework Version: v4.0.30319
    Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
    Exception Info: System.ComponentModel.Composition.CompositionException
    Stack:
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c__DisplayClass2.<ThrowAsync>b__3(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(System.Object)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate)
       at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32)
       at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr)

Faulting application name: devenv.exe, version: 14.0.23107.0, time stamp: 0x559b7ead
    Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18007, time stamp: 0x55c4bcfc
    Exception code: 0xe0434352
    Fault offset: 0x00015b68
    Faulting process id: 0x2dd4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d13bfca75bd3dc
    Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE\devenv.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\KERNELBASE.dll
    Report Id: f61910af-a7ef-11e5-82bb-d8caacb71a65
    Faulting package full name: 
    Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Gehan Fernando Snr. Engineer Technology. AKLO Information Technologies (Pvt) Ltd. #58, 42nd Lane, 5th Floor, Wellawatta, Colombo 06, Sri Lanka. Phone: +94 117 520000 | Mobile: +94 772 269625

Monday, December 21, 2015 2:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your quick response.

Since the error come for all the VS projects. May be some operations corrupt your Visual Studio.

For this case, reinstalling and repairing your VS looks best solution for you.

>> Meantime, What is the best way to install VS 2015 without 3rdparty tools, is there have any good documentation to follow.

When install your VS. I suggest you to select the Custom option And you don't select third-party SDKs during the initial setup.

Following document is about how to Installing Visual Studio for your reference.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw%28v=vs.140%29.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Fernando,

Could you tell me when did the error occurred? Open the project, create the project, or build the project?

Is the error still occurred when using other projects?

Please restart your machine, test it again.

I also did a research for the error message. And I found it may be caused by third party Add-ins or packages.

Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE (by default is C:\Program Files \Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE), and then run the following command:

Devenv.exe /SafeMode, This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.

If in SafeMode, VS works well, it is probably related to the add-ins/extension tools, maybe you could disable/remove them, then try it again.

On the other hand. I suggest you could try to install VS2015 update1, then try it again, may be the issue will be solved.

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 6:52 AM
  • Hi

Before answer the question I need to give my PC software specification

VS 2015, Windows 8.1 x64

This error starts 21th Dec, before that I worked smoothly, The errors comes for all the VS projects, I can start the project, I can build the project, but I go to code screen then after few seconds the error message "Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 has stopped" displays. I did restart everything but same error comes.

Meantime, What is the best way to install VS 2015 without 3rdparty tools, is there have any good documentation to follow.

Gehan Fernando Snr. Engineer Technology. AKLO Information Technologies (Pvt) Ltd. #58, 42nd Lane, 5th Floor, Wellawatta, Colombo 06, Sri Lanka. Phone: +94 117 520000 | Mobile: +94 772 269625

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 7:08 AM
  • Hi Fernando,

Thanks for your quick response.

Since the error come for all the VS projects. May be some operations corrupt your Visual Studio.

For this case, reinstalling and repairing your VS looks best solution for you.

>> Meantime, What is the best way to install VS 2015 without 3rdparty tools, is there have any good documentation to follow.

When install your VS. I suggest you to select the Custom option And you don't select third-party SDKs during the initial setup.

Following document is about how to Installing Visual Studio for your reference.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/e2h7fzkw%28v=vs.140%29.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:45 AM