none
HP Ipaq 6515 (cingular/att) Back up battery very low, to prevent data loss BLA BLA BLA!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• I just got this stupid IPAQ 6500 (6515 B/C its for cingular/att) and it says on the front screen Back up battery very low but under power it tells me main power 100% (its on the charger)
    Backup power remaining 100%        WTF is going on
    P.S. screen saver only works on cradle but not off!!!!

Do you need to be a mensa member to use this?!?!
    ANYONE CAN CALL ME 831-402-5653
    Saturday, November 10, 2007 10:39 PM

Answers

• Battery backup power can show 100% but the actual capacity of the battery may be diminished due to age/use.  That is, instead of the normal 3 or 4 hours of memory backup it may now only give, say, 30 minutes but it will still show 100% charge when fully charged.

REPLACEMENT
    You'll have to open the case (i.e., void any warranty you may have left) and replace the button-cell backup battery that is attached to the main board.  You need a fine (very-small-head) torx drive set (sorry, I don't know the exact head size).  There are at least four torx screws involved -- two external (above the camera lens) and two inside the main battery compartment.

Here is a link to a direct replacement battery -- I'm including this mainly so you can see the picture of what the battery looks like:

http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=774

I have not actually replaced the 6515 backup battery but I've hunted info enough to know that it's not a simple pop-out, pop-in operation like the primary battery.  Also, soldering *may* be involved depending on how the battery is attached to the main board.

This basically amounts to a 'non-user-replaceable' part and was a real design shortcoming on the part of HTC, the company that created this phone for HP.  HTC usually produces very good equipment/designs so the choice to hard-mount the backup battery baffles me -- maybe HP expects their users to replace phones more often than batteries.

Good luck!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:03 PM

All replies

• Battery backup power can show 100% but the actual capacity of the battery may be diminished due to age/use.  That is, instead of the normal 3 or 4 hours of memory backup it may now only give, say, 30 minutes but it will still show 100% charge when fully charged.

REPLACEMENT
    You'll have to open the case (i.e., void any warranty you may have left) and replace the button-cell backup battery that is attached to the main board.  You need a fine (very-small-head) torx drive set (sorry, I don't know the exact head size).  There are at least four torx screws involved -- two external (above the camera lens) and two inside the main battery compartment.

Here is a link to a direct replacement battery -- I'm including this mainly so you can see the picture of what the battery looks like:

http://www.ipaqrepair.co.uk/view_product.php?product=774

I have not actually replaced the 6515 backup battery but I've hunted info enough to know that it's not a simple pop-out, pop-in operation like the primary battery.  Also, soldering *may* be involved depending on how the battery is attached to the main board.

This basically amounts to a 'non-user-replaceable' part and was a real design shortcoming on the part of HTC, the company that created this phone for HP.  HTC usually produces very good equipment/designs so the choice to hard-mount the backup battery baffles me -- maybe HP expects their users to replace phones more often than batteries.

Good luck!

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:03 PM
  • Just so you know ... I am a member of Mensa and have the same problem :-)

Tuesday, November 20, 2007 6:49 PM