none
A question about Microsoft patch KB917880 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

Has anyone information on the effect of MS patch 917880 on a Word document?

Our application opens Word, and our users say the absence of the patch causes a problem in Word.

Thank you.

Richard Olmstead

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

I assume you are referring to below hotfix, it involves changing registry setting for Word 2003:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917880

Hope this helps,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"
    Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer as an answer when your question is being answered.

• Marked as answer by Bruce Song Thursday, March 8, 2012 10:09 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by RickOvs2010 Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 12:26 AM
  • Hello Daniel,

Thanks for replying.

I was seeking to know what concrete effects this patch would have.... that is, what a user would notice with its absence-or-presence.

Thank you.

Richard Olmstead

Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:47 PM
  • Hi Richard,

I think your user will only notice the behaviour mentioned when below scenario occurs, mentioned in KB article:

Consider the following scenario. In Microsoft Office Word 2003, you run a Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) macro.  This VBA macro changes specific story ranges in a Word 2003 document. In this scenario, the DocumentChange event may occur unexpectedly. For example, this problem may occur when the macro edits a header or a footer in the Word 2003 document.

I think if you are using Macro's a lot, then your user will notice the behaviour for sure, if you don't use Macro's then problably not.

In any case, I always make sure the latest patch is installed, so this situation will not occur in case I will use Macros.

Best regards,

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer as an answer when your question is being answered.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 4:01 PM