Feature request: temporarily switch keyboard layout using caps lock

Question

• My main keyboard layout is Dvorak but I'd like a way to temporarily switch the keyboard layout to German to type some umlaut characters.

Current Linux distributions solve this by allowing to use some modifier key - I personally prefer caps lock since there's no other practical use for it anyway. So using Capslock+Keypress, I have german layout, otherwise it's Dvorak.

On MacOS I hacked my keymap but I'd really have some way to easily type umlaut characters without clumsily switching keyboards hence and forth using Ctrl+Shift...

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:40 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Hello Marcus Ilgner,

You might want to look at the pages that came out today in the MSDN blog: Building Windows 8 about languages.
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/02/21/using-the-language-you-want.aspx

Marilyn

• Proposed as answer by Irfanfare Wednesday, February 22, 2012 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:13 PM
  • Thank you for your replies. I understand that mine is a somewhat rare use case, but what I really want to achieve is to use my preferred keyboard layout (Dvorak) without sacrificing easy access to umlaut characters only available on the german keyboard layout.

I have just discovered the Keyboard Layout Creator, so I created a new mapping using AltGr and AltGr+Shift, which is only a bit awkward to type and much better than the confusion from accidentally changing the keyboard layout while selecting text with the keyboard using Ctrl+Shift. The Caps Lock editing feature didn't work for me somehow, but that may as well be PEBKAC. Now I just hope that I can use my custom layout on Windows 8 Developer Preview :)

Since the capslock key, a remnant of ye olde typewriter, is never actually needed for english and german keyboards, it is perfect to use as an additional key modifier to temporarily change layouts and I must say that I prefer this option from current Linux distributions to any custom hacks necessary on other systems.

All the best

Marcus

Monday, February 27, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Now I just hope that I can use my custom layout on Windows 8 Developer Preview :)

Marcus

Hi Marcus Ilgner,

please just let us know when you have been able to do it, might be useful to others.

Irfan

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Hi Irfan,

for now, the installer generated by the Keyboard Layout Creator doesn't complain and properly offers "repair" and "uninstall" options after the first setup, but the layout doesn't show up in the settings dialog.

I'll keep monitoring any changes and will update this thread if I find a solution to this.

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Hi again Marcus,

Keyboard Layout Creator is compatible up to Windows7, may not work well with WDP. Try installing it in Compatibility Mode by right clicking on the installer and selecting to Troubleshoot compatibility, then Try recommended settings.

Irfan

Monday, February 27, 2012 5:58 PM