Database connection Error in Stock Trader 6.1 setup RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to install the Stock Trader 6.1 application locally on my laptop and I'm running into an error in the database connection section that I can't get past.

I have SQL Server 2014 Developer Edition installed, on Windows 10. I tried my initial install against a default instance, and that failed. I then read some other threads about how it works better with a named instance, so I created a named instance and tried that, but it didn't work. Finally, in desperation, I installed SQL 2014 Express Edition, thinking that maybe it had to be Express, but that didn't work either.

I can connect to all of these instances with both SQL Server Management Studio and with Visual Studio 2015's Server Explorer, but in setting up the Stock Trader app I get the below error.

Database setup error

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 7:42 PM

All replies

• I have subsequently installed SQL 2012 Developer edition, with a named instance and tried it against that, and that fails with the same error. I can't seem to find any installation log (at least not in AppData), either, that would give more details on the error.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 9:26 PM
  • Now I've created a VM with Windows Server 2012 and SQL 2014 Developer version. Same error. What's going on here?

configuration that fails

Wednesday, November 4, 2015 7:25 PM