none
WMI - Calculate scan time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to measure the time that takes for windows to operate Scan for Wi-Fi networks:

Start calculation: Windows send OID to driver

End Calculation: Driver send notification that the operation completed

Does WMI provides such ability, if so, how? Can you please send me  a sample c# code which demonstrates the idea implementation?

Regards,

Nadeem

• Moved by Kristin Xie Friday, December 5, 2014 3:06 AM move to appropriate forum
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 10:37 AM

Answers

• Yes, it is possible using ETW, Windows Performance Recorder, and Windows Performance Analyzer (the latter two are in the Windows Performance Toolkit, available for free from Microsoft), while the former is built into Windows. You may also want to look at the Windows Message Analyzer (also free from Microsoft). Unfortunately, there isn't a specific counter I can direct you to. You're going to have to learn about network tracing, using WPR and WPA, and enable the appropriate providers. It can be daunting, because there are so many providers and so much data available, but on the bright side, the data is there - you're just going to have to dig for it. Start here and here

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Nadeem,

According to your description, your case related to Direct OID Request Interface and driver. Visual C# forum is discuss and ask questions about the C# programming language. I am afraid you are post in a inappropriate forum. There is a special forum for your case.

Windows Desktop Development >  Windows Hardware WDK and Driver Development

I will help you move it to that forum for better support.

>>Can you please send me  a sample c# code which demonstrates the idea implementation?

By the way, We don't support to write a project to op, but you can submit a sample request to

https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/site/requeststhanks for your understanding.

Bset regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Edited by Kristin Xie Friday, December 5, 2014 3:04 AM
    Friday, December 5, 2014 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for your note.

I still looking for help...

Hope someone can answer my question.

Regards,

Nadeem Bader

Sunday, December 7, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Yes, it is possible using ETW, Windows Performance Recorder, and Windows Performance Analyzer (the latter two are in the Windows Performance Toolkit, available for free from Microsoft), while the former is built into Windows. You may also want to look at the Windows Message Analyzer (also free from Microsoft). Unfortunately, there isn't a specific counter I can direct you to. You're going to have to learn about network tracing, using WPR and WPA, and enable the appropriate providers. It can be daunting, because there are so many providers and so much data available, but on the bright side, the data is there - you're just going to have to dig for it. Start here and here

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:38 AM