How do I migrate projects with extensions from LS 2011? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently had to replace my laptop so I upgraded my VS Studio Suite to 2012. Aside from
    the obvious changes which probably include more .NET capabilities I was curious
    about migrating my LS 2011 projects to the included LS v2 in my
    suite. I did run into some issues migrating though because of the Excel
    Importer, 
    Light Switch Utilities, and Office Integration
    Pack. The migration failed reporting theses as unavailable but when I tried to
    install the Excel Importer I got another error. "This extension is not
    installable on any currently installed products."
    <o:p></o:p>

Does anyone have any suggestions about migration techniques and/or opinions of the
    advantages offered by moving to LS v2 or should I stick with LS 2011 for use
    with Visual Studio 2012 Pro so I can still write windows 8 apps and play with
    the new .NET but keep LS in my familiar developer realm.<o:p></o:p>

I have backups of all of the files from my old laptop so going in reverse would simply
    require me to recopy the projects over. Also, I have a retail copy of Light-Switch
    2011 so I can just install using that CD when I get back to Seattle.<o:p></o:p>

Migration Report:

Overview

Project

Path

Errors

Warnings

Services Managment

Services   Managment\Services Managment.lsproj

Solution

Services   Managment.sln

Client.csproj

Services   Managment\Client\Client.csproj

Solution and projects

Services Managment

Services Managment: The following extension(s) referenced by the   project is (are) either not installed on this machine or disabled:

Services Managment: ExcelImporter

Services Managment: LightSwitchUtilities

Services Managment: OfficeIntegration

Monday, April 8, 2013 6:44 AM

All replies

• Please, someone with experience reply to this...  I reply because I don't want to see anyone go without help when a valid question is asked that I know at least a little about...  so I hope by replying to bump this issue to someone who will know.  Anyway, I did do a few searches and this is what I come up with:

Click HERE about what was written for the VS 2011 beta.

ALSO this is probably a better resource, from Alessandro Del Sole's Blog:

LightSwitch: a small guide for migrating apps from v1 to v2

GOOD LUCK!

Would someone please turn on the LIGHT?

Monday, April 8, 2013 3:48 PM
  • Oh I was not using the beta I was using Light switch version 1 which was also known as LS 2011. They are now using light switch version 2 and that was all packaged into visual studio 2012.

My main issue is that I cannot seem to install the extensions made by Microsoft for Light Switch and my project will not migrate. The project above is my experiment project were I try out new techniques before implementing them in my larger development project.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:15 AM
  • I don't think any of those are the issue I am using first party extensions from Microsoft and I am simply trying to install them so I can try migrating my experimental project services management and then later start migrating my larger projects. Also in the article it mentions changing to server 2012 which is something I am also interested in. No sense migrating everything to the new .NET 5, Visual Studio 2012 and Light Switch version 2 without upgrading the server as well.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:21 AM
  • Hi

Please follow the below article published by Beth. This may help you to solve your issue.

Tips on Upgrading Your LightSwitch Applications to Visual Studio 2012

Regards

Rashmi Ranjan Panigrahi
    www.lightswitchspecial.com

If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.
    This will help other users to find their answer quickly.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:43 AM
  • Yes I have definitely read this article already but that is the problem step 1 isn't working.

1. Install any extensions you are using in your V1 project onto the machine where you installed Visual Studio 2012

Extensions need to be installed first into VS 2012 before you upgrade because of the way .VSIX packages work – they are installed per instance of Visual Studio. Many extensions will install and work in both versions, however some do not at this time. Depending on the vendor, you will have to contact them if they are supporting VS 2012 yet.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:30 PM