How to sync data between devices?

Question

• RoamingSettings is not enough, I need more than space for 255 characters. I want to sync data between Windows and Windows Phone devices (Universal Apps). I don't have my own server, I'd prefer to use some exsisting soultion like OneDrive (but saving all data to file isn't good idea I think)
    Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:33 AM

Answers

• It's worth mentioning that Roaming App Data is still limited in the Kilobyte range. The basic idea is that it's being used for settings as well. So the only solutions are to either store it on your own server infrastructure (which you would have to create) or use the user's infrastructure (like letting him provide you with storage credentials on OneDrive).

The later option still has the drawback that the user has free access to the files stored on OneDrive and therefore also can manipulate them at will.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 9:16 AM
  • You could use the roaming folder of your application data (see "roaming app data").

But you have to save it in your own file. For example you could use serialization for objects or a simple text file for settings, that depends on the situation.

Edit:

Direct link for HTML/Javascript

Direct link for XAML/C#/VB/C++

Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:52 AM
  • Hi Stefan54,

OneDrive is a really good place to restore data, see the tutorial for more information: Windows Runtime apps (HTML), User need to sign in and save their data on their OneDrive folder.

Another just idea, how about compress the data if the data is not that much, for instance by using "LZMA" or other compress algorithm we can compress a 250 byte string to 90 bytes.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 5:47 AM

All replies

• You could use the roaming folder of your application data (see "roaming app data").

But you have to save it in your own file. For example you could use serialization for objects or a simple text file for settings, that depends on the situation.

Edit:

Direct link for HTML/Javascript

Direct link for XAML/C#/VB/C++

Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:52 AM
  • It's worth mentioning that Roaming App Data is still limited in the Kilobyte range. The basic idea is that it's being used for settings as well. So the only solutions are to either store it on your own server infrastructure (which you would have to create) or use the user's infrastructure (like letting him provide you with storage credentials on OneDrive).

The later option still has the drawback that the user has free access to the files stored on OneDrive and therefore also can manipulate them at will.

Saturday, October 25, 2014 9:16 AM
  • Hi Stefan54,

OneDrive is a really good place to restore data, see the tutorial for more information: Windows Runtime apps (HTML), User need to sign in and save their data on their OneDrive folder.

Another just idea, how about compress the data if the data is not that much, for instance by using "LZMA" or other compress algorithm we can compress a 250 byte string to 90 bytes.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Tuesday, November 04, 2014 5:47 AM