Client-side time-zone RRS feed

• Question

• User1823730432 posted

Hi

I have client-side code that gets the client date(date-time)

And then use this to get time-zone information about the client and the server

2 Public Function getTimeZone(ByVal value As Date) As String

4         Dim unclearDate As Date = value

5         Dim zone As String

6         zone = (TimeZoneInfo.Local.DisplayName + unclearDate.ToString + IIf(TimeZoneInfo.Local.IsAmbiguousTime(unclearDate), "", " "))

7                            zone += "<br />"

8         zone += (TimeZoneInfo.Local.DisplayName + unclearDate.ToString +   IIf(TimeZoneInfo.Local.IsDaylightSavingTime(unclearDate), "", " "))

9         zone += "<br />"

10         If TimeZoneInfo.Local.IsAmbiguousTime(unclearDate) OrElse TimeZoneInfo.Local.IsDaylightSavingTime(unclearDate) Then

11             zone += (unclearDate.ToString + TimeZoneInfo.Local.DisplayName)

12         End If

15         'Dim thisTime As Date = value

16         'Dim zone As String

17         'zone = IIf(TimeZoneInfo.Local.IsDaylightSavingTime(thisTime), TimeZoneInfo.Local.DaylightName, TimeZoneInfo.Local.StandardName) + thisTime.ToString

18         'zone += ("   UTC Time: {0}" + TimeZoneInfo.ConvertTimeToUtc(thisTime.ToString, TimeZoneInfo.Local).ToString)

21         Return zone

22                    End Function

On my computer I get

(GMT+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney11/12/2009 3:33:26 PM <br />(GMT+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney11/12/2009 3:33:26 PM<br />11/12/2009 3:33:26 PM(GMT+10:00) Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney

Sydney being my home town but when I publish this to the site I get

From the server I get

Client-Side Date: (GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)11/11/2009 12:55:46 PM <br />(GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)11/11/2009 12:55:46 PM <br />

Server Date:(GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)11/11/2009 5:57:42 PM <br />(GMT-08:00) Pacific Time (US & Canada)11/11/2009 5:57:42 PM <br />

Client-side is US & Canada as the client I would hope to see Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney and I suppose that the US & Canada is correct for the server?

Can anyone understand why the client-side information is correct

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 11:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 3:19 AM
  • User1823730432 posted

Thank you for your reply

From the information that you provided I think I have achieved this in my code

The client time is correct as I receive a email from the website when I post from the login button which tells me the correct time when I view the page from the website on my computer and I get a time for the server  that I believe is the utc for the sever zone

As I see it the utc is a latitude where Sydney Canberra and Melbourne are in the same latitude as china yet the code was able to display Australian Capital cities instead of china capital cities when I run the code on my server but the email displays us and canada from the website. the time and offset and daylight savings is correct.

I what to see the correct cities just like canada and the US share the same latitude but I what to see US if I have view the website from the US and not canada

Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:00 AM