From ASP 3.0 to Single Page Applications RRS feed

• Question

• User-1733175667 posted

Hi,

during the last couple of years I scripted a small bunch of solutions which helped my admin life a lot.

Most were done with VBscript, purely or embedded into ASP 3.0 and HTAs.

Before that I touched a little PHP, HTML, CSS, JavaScript.

The recent 3 months I started with Powershell which is based on .Net and got pretty in love with it.

I have an idea to build a new small web page, helping to automate some server management things.

After a little research I figured out that Single Page Applications based on .Net 4.5 should be the ideal solution.

After a little more research I feel overwhelmed and mixed up since there are so many languages involved and it is hard to me to find the right start.

Which to choose for an pragmatic start? Knockout.js, Ember.js, Durandal.js or better SignalR?

Do you have a good book recommendation which is focussing on Single Page Applications based on .Net 4.5?

Many thanks in advance

Ruben

Sunday, May 18, 2014 9:20 PM

Answers

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

it's a fast evolving world on this topic but the direction we seem to be heading is the combination ASP.NET Web API and Angular.js.

SignalR is awesome indeed. You could use it when you have data updating on the server and you want to make a(ny) connected client aware of that update to push it to the browser of interest. If you don't need that push capabilities then likely you don't want to add the extra fluff to the application (at the beginning).

Grz, Kris.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, May 19, 2014 1:12 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

ASP.NET Web API is the currently recommended way for building HTTP services for managing the exchange of data between browser and server. Therefore it is central to any app that relies on, say, JSON being transmitted via AJAX such as in Single Page Apps. Accordingly, it is a good starting point. It can also be used instead of web services, so its usage exceeds just SPAs.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:13 PM

All replies

• User541108374 posted

Hi,

it's a fast evolving world on this topic but the direction we seem to be heading is the combination ASP.NET Web API and Angular.js.

SignalR is awesome indeed. You could use it when you have data updating on the server and you want to make a(ny) connected client aware of that update to push it to the browser of interest. If you don't need that push capabilities then likely you don't want to add the extra fluff to the application (at the beginning).

Grz, Kris.

Monday, May 19, 2014 1:12 AM
  • User-1733175667 posted

Hi Kris,

thanks for your recommendation. :-) 

May I understand that ASP.NET Web API is the base that I need to understand for proceeding with my desired Single Page App?

Kind regards

Ruben

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:07 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

ASP.NET Web API is the currently recommended way for building HTTP services for managing the exchange of data between browser and server. Therefore it is central to any app that relies on, say, JSON being transmitted via AJAX such as in Single Page Apps. Accordingly, it is a good starting point. It can also be used instead of web services, so its usage exceeds just SPAs.

Saturday, May 24, 2014 2:13 PM
  • User-519554749 posted

ASP.NET Web API and Single Page Applications with knockout js is the best way to exchange the data between web browsers and servers.

Thank you,

http://www.code-sample.com/2013/05/single-page-application-mvc-4-example.html

Saturday, May 31, 2014 7:19 PM