none
What is the default for w10:wrap (in a v:shape)? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

In  section 19.1.2.19 (v:shape) it lists the attributes for the element, but no child elements. And in the TOC for 19.1.2 it does not list wrap (it does list imagedata). However, the way this is normally specified is:

<v:shape id="WordPictureWatermark7681938" o:spid="_x0000_s2050" type="#_x0000_t75" style=";margin-left:0;margin-top:0;width:481.8pt;height:481.8pt;z-index:-251655168;" o:allowincell="f">
    					<v:imagedata r:id="rId1" o:title="FILIGRANE"/>
    					<w10:wrap anchorx="margin" anchory="margin"/>
    				</v:shape>

Where is w10:wrap documented. And what is the default wrap if that is not specified?

As best we can tell the default wrap is square, unless z-index<0 and then it's none.

??? - thanks - dave

bug 20156

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

• Edited by DavidThi808 Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:13 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:10 PM

All replies

• Hello Dave :

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. A support engineer will be in touch to assist further.

Regards

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi Dave, the description of the wrap element can be found in the part 4 document of the ISO/IEC 29500 specification in section 19.3.2.6. I think the initial description provides the answer you are looking for. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

19.3.2.6 wrap (Text Wrapping)

This element specifies the type of text wrapping which should be allowed around the contents of this VML object.

If this element is omitted, then no text wrapping shall be performed (i.e. the object shall be presented in line with text).

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, March 25, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Hi Josh;

That's how I read it too. However, take a look at Watermark Model.docx. The bitmap in the header is shown by Word as being behind, not as inline. I'm guessing that's driven by the z-index. Does that force it to be behind and override any wrap setting?

thanks - dave

What we did for the last 6 months - Made the world's coolest reporting & docgen system even more amazing

Sunday, March 27, 2016 2:18 PM
  • Hi Dave, it looks like it actually is the wrap element. I was incorrect in posting what I did at first because that has to do with if the wrap element is not present at all, not if the type attribute is missing from it. Through testing, I've been able to determine that Word's default behavior is to use a type of "none" for the wrap element if the type attribute is not present.

This behavior isn't specified in the ISO/IEC 29500 or MS-OI29500 documents. I plan on filing a request to have information about this added to the MS-OI29500 document.

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:17 PM
  • Hi Josh;

By "none" do you mean it's behind or in front of the text? And therefore absolutely positioned with no impact on text layout?

thanks - dave

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:30 PM
  • Hi Dave, the description of the "none" type is specified in part 4 section 19.3.3.6, ST_WrapType (Text Wrapping Type), and states that it "Specifies that text shall not be allowed to wrap around the remaining space on each lines around this VML object." My own observations from testing shows that it basically doesn't interfere with or affect the layout of any text at all.

Friday, April 8, 2016 9:17 PM