UrlReferrer is null RRS feed

• Question

• User1440831561 posted

Hi,

What does it mean when

context.Request.UrlReferrer is sometimes null?

thanks

Wednesday, May 18, 2005 12:58 PM

All replies

• User1035858081 posted
    I suppose it could be null if the user didn't get to your page from a different page (hyperlink, redirect, etc...).
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 3:58 PM
  • User-751653828 posted

Well... start up your browser and type in the address. You will see that the URL referrer is null/nothing because nothing referred the browser to the page. Put that in a context that someone sent someone else an email with a direct link - the referrer is not a web page so that won't be transmitted to the server. Essentially, those normal activities will entail your 50% of null referrers.

The other 50% can be caused from internet security suites. Basically, what the dudes did is removed IE's transmission of the referrer page because some people see it as an evasion of privacy to see whom came from where. With Norton, I think they do still transmit the referrer by the "WRL_REFFERRER" HTTP header but the UrlReferrer property looks at the HTTP transmission of URL_REFFERRER. (I know the spelling is wrong... so did the standards mispell it as well and my brain is so confused now).

It's a big picture to put together but I hope you can start getting some ideas what is happening.

Saturday, May 21, 2005 11:22 AM
  • User-2009796815 posted
    I have a page where i would always like to get the referring page and have run into problems with UrlReferrer being null on occasion as well....is there another more reliable way of getting the referring url from a page (i.e. Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER") maybe?) or is this something that doesn't reliably work no matter what you do for security reasons (etc) and i should revisit my design?

Any advice or direction is appreciated!  Thanks in advance,
    J. Shane Kunkle
    jkunkle@vt.edu
    Tuesday, June 28, 2005 5:43 PM
  • User-182265138 posted
    hi,
    i think Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER") should work fine, if there is any referer, cuz im using it on my site , to show last 10 sites that linked to me and its working fine, you can test it, by creating a link on one page and checking referer on the linked page.
    Regards,
    Arshak
    Saturday, July 9, 2005 8:11 AM