none
Newsfeed - dist. cache account RRS feed

• Question

• I previously had a lot of problems when changing the Dist. Cache Account from the Farm Account to another managed account - the newsfeed only showed 5 post.  

Read this previously post

So I've reversed the Dist. account to the farm account.

I want to give it another try as I see a lot of uls entries that might be caused by the dist. account running on the farm. -

So how do I secure that the NewSPDistCacheServiceAccount can re-populate all the newsfeed?  

• Edited by JmATK Friday, August 26, 2016 11:08 AM
    Friday, August 26, 2016 11:00 AM

Answers

• Hi JmATK,

Yes, you are right, this issue seems to be about farm account used as Distributed Cache service account.

Please try to use PowerShell cmdlets to change the service account.

There is a similar blog for your reference:

http://alstechtips.blogspot.sg/2014/04/sharepoint-2013-how-to-change.html

Best Regards,

Wendy

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by JmATK Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi JmATK,

When the server farm is first configured, the server farm account is set as the service account of the AppFabric Caching service. The Distributed Cache service depends on the AppFabric Caching service.

Instead of changing the Distributed Cache service account, I suggest you try to solve your issue based on the ULS log.

Anyway, if you want to change the service account, you can refer to:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219613.aspx#changesvcacct

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 2:34 AM
  • Hi Wendy 

Thank you for your reply - so I should leave it as is and solve the ULS errors ...hmmm..  

- that's a bit of a challenge :) - I see a lot of errors that according to another posts is caused by the Farm account is used for the AppFabric/Dist. Cache

"Unable to write service call usage entry." - "Unable to write SPDistributedCache call usage entry."

in the ULS could be caused by the other post that the Farm account is running the Dist. cache. 

Also some Services is using a local service.  

All the "problems" I see in the farm is caused by the Farm account is used everywhere... even though that this below is the Best practice: 

The server farm account should not be used for other services.  

DOM\SPFarm, the account used for the SharePoint timer service and the central administration 
    site, is highly privileged and should not be used for any other services on any machines
    in the server farm. The following services were found to use this account: User Profile Synchronization Service(Windows Service) SPUserCodeV4(Windows Service) OSearch15(Windows Service) Distributed Cache Service(Windows Service) SPSearchHostController(Windows Service)

Using built-in accounts like Network Service or Local System as application pool or 
    as service identities is not supported in a farm configuration.
    The following services are currently running as built-in identities
    on one or more servers: c2wts (Windows Service)

• Edited by JmATK Monday, August 29, 2016 6:12 AM
    Monday, August 29, 2016 2:48 AM
  • Hi JmATK,

Yes, you are right, this issue seems to be about farm account used as Distributed Cache service account.

Please try to use PowerShell cmdlets to change the service account.

There is a similar blog for your reference:

http://alstechtips.blogspot.sg/2014/04/sharepoint-2013-how-to-change.html

Best Regards,

Wendy

• Marked as answer by JmATK Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:48 AM
  • Hi Wendy 

done this script in test

$Farm=Get-SPFarm
    $CacheService=$Farm.Services | Where {$_.Name -eq "AppFabricCachingService"}
    $Accnt = Get-SPManagedAccount -Identity Domain\ServiceAccount
    $CacheService.ProcessIdentity.CurrentIdentityType = "SpecificUser"
    $CacheService.ProcessIdentity.ManagedAccount = $Accnt
    $CacheService.ProcessIdentity.Update()

- but it doesn't change the App fabric account seen under Windows service - just changes it under CA > Security > Configure service accounts - Distributed Cache.

Added the $CacheService.ProcessIdentity.Deploy()  and it has changed the appfabric account as well 

• Edited by JmATK Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 6:24 AM