win 8 dev prview - how to reset password

Question

• I have a machine with the dev preview, and I have a test user account on it for basically testing how win 8 will handle older apps. The tester has forgotten his password and win 8 will not let me reset it through the user manager or device manager - how do I reset the password?

Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:36 PM

All replies

• Are you using an administrator account to change the testor password?
    In my testing, an administrator account is able to change the password for another user account.

Are you logged on with a Windows Live ID account or a Local account?

Please let us know.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:03 PM
  • Using the administrator account. Trying to use the CtrlPanel - I cannot even see an option to change another users account. Going to the computer management, user & groups, I use the set password option - enter a new password, but then it will not change the password - permissions??:

Sunday, November 6, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Hello LimeyRedneck,

This is the process to use to change another user's password when you are logged on with an Administrator account.
    From the Start page, Click on Control Panel.
    Scroll down to More settings for Desktop Control Panel.
    Double click on User Accounts.
    Click on Manage another Account.
    Choose Usesr you would like to change.
    Under "Make changes to XXXX account"
    Click on "Change the password".

However, I did the same process you did through Computer Management and used the Set password option and was able to set the user password
    successfully.

Try changing the password thru Manage another account and see if you get the same error message.

Please let us know.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 11:32 PM