none
Windows update RRS feed

• Question

• 1. I understand that the WDF co-installer( 1.11) contains a Windows update package that updates the verson of WDF in the target machine. Does this means that every time a WDF(KMDF) driver is installed, will it check for Windows update?

2. Can I omit WDF co-installer in my KMDF driver INF file?

3. I have a KMDF USB bus driver that plugs virtual USB device. Every time I plug a device using this driver, it checks for Widnows update. Is there anyway I can skip this Windows update checking either in user mode app or via some option in bus driver /INF file etc, instead of explicitly disabling Widnows update checking in My Computer properties?
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:38 PM

Answers

• No the co-installer does not cause a windows update, and No you cannot omit the WDF co-installer.  For point #3 I've never heard of such a thing, why do you think it is hitting windows update.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:44 PM

All replies

• No the co-installer does not cause a windows update, and No you cannot omit the WDF co-installer.  For point #3 I've never heard of such a thing, why do you think it is hitting windows update.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Thanks Don. As we know since Windows update is enabled by default, it will always check the for latest drivers  online during installation. I would like to omit this checking for windows update since I have the latest drivers.

• Edited by its_me_here Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:17 PM
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:16 PM
  • Well first unless your driver is WHQL'd it will never check online for a newer driver.  Second, if it is WHQL'd why should you care if the check occurs, you can't be sure if tomorrow you won't have put a newer one up, but the user is using the old one.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 6:21 PM
  • Thanks Don. As we know since Windows update is enabled by default, it will always check the for latest drivers  online during installation. I would like to omit this checking for windows update since I have the latest drivers.

there is an API to call windows update

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa387099%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

MSFT Signature

Place your rig specifics into your signature like I have, makes it 100x easier!

Hardcore Games Legendary is the Only Way to Play!
    Vegan Advocate How can you be an environmentalist and still eat meat?

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 7:08 PM
  • Thanks Don. My driver is only test-signed now. But I suspect that it checks for online update now.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:57 PM
  • If your driver is replacing an inbox driver it will, otherwise it definitely will not with either test signing or code signing.  Only WHQL'd drivers get into update.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Thanks Vegan. I went thru the link you provided. Will the API UnregisterServiceWithAU() help to disable WA checking? I undersnatd that there are different types of updates identified by their service ids. This API takes a service id . But I was not able to get any info on these service ids. Where can I get the service ids especially service id related to driver updates?
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:02 PM
  • The API's Vegan pointed to will not do anything for you.  It will allow you to force a system update, but that is it.  Unless you are going to WHQL this you don't need to do anything.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 5:15 PM
  • My driver will be WHQL-ed finally. Came to notice that the loading of usb drivers my bus driver is loading takes long to install if windows update is enabled whereas installation is faster if it is disabled. So  for an investigative purpose for now,I was looking into if one can somehow disable or better skip windows  update checking so that install is faster. Was looking if this can be done via user app or inf file etc. 
    Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:15 PM
  • Well until you have WHQL'd you don't have the problem, and once you do you have more challenges on your test machines.  I guess I can't see why you care, if it is a test machine, you are going to have to work to get your test driver to install over the inbox, if it is a regular machine of yours or particularly of someone who purchased the device the most of us would complain you have a bug if you block the use of Windows update.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:19 PM
  • I have reported you Don Burns to MSFT for unprofessional conduct

MSFT Signature

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:16 PM
  • Vegan, 

Can one inquire what you think is unprofessional? 

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:30 PM
  • OK. lets set aside the case of WHQL for now. What my KMDF bus driver does is it loads device drivers on it when a device is connected. When these drivers are loaded, it checks for Windows update and downloads those drivers from Windows Update if any update found for those drivers. Those drivers are already WHQLed and thats why they are par of the update, right? My question is is there anything anything KMDF-specific that could slow down device installation if Windows Update is enabled? And by windows update, I mean the option for downloading drivers from Windows Update.( ie.Advanced System Settings->Hardware tab->Device Installation Settings->Never Install Driver software from Windows Update.). 
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Vegan, 

Can one inquire what you think is unprofessional? 

constant abuse from various parties

when the OP inquired about Windows update, I assumed he wanted to call it in the event of a runtime install etc.

for example VC runtime has been updated several time for each SKU of Visual Studio out there.

So I posted the link to the only API used for Window update, to launch it

The OP was not the clearest post so its hard to guess what they need. If it does not fit, its rude and unprofessional to harass the person.

More professional is to let the OP use the suggestions. Its not your place to judge.

MSFT Signature

Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:35 PM
  • nothing you can do in the driver will slow WU down

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:08 PM
  • nothing you can do in the driver will slow WU down

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

One thing the OP was not clear on is how his driver is being designed, as a installable EXE or an INF or ?

My own installer library has modules to call Windows update and reboot depending on what is needed

Not sure about others, make my own as other cost too much considering 90% of my programs are free

MSFT Signature

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:29 PM
  • I am installing the driver from inf file. I am aware that the Device Setup Manager service is involved in device installation. I checked the event viewer log of Device Setup Manager Service and found that the service is getting delayed while downloading the drivers of some interfaces (takes time to resolve some interfaces) as below:

The DSM service was delayed by 148 seconds for a driver query/download/install on device 'device hardware id'
    Could it be a reason why the install gets delayed?

Monday, May 18, 2015 3:11 AM
  • I am installing the driver from inf file. I am aware that the Device Setup Manager service is involved in device installation. I checked the event viewer log of Device Setup Manager Service and found that the service is getting delayed while downloading the drivers of some interfaces (takes time to resolve some interfaces) as below:

The DSM service was delayed by 148 seconds for a driver query/download/install on device 'device hardware id'
    Could it be a reason why the install gets delayed?

148 seconds is horrendous. Have you tried to install it on a machine with a fresh install of the target version(s) of Windows?

M5A99FX

Monday, May 18, 2015 3:18 AM
  • Thanks Vegan for the reply. I have installed it on fresh OSs. I am getting the delay in those OSs also. I am getting more than one log. What I shared is one log. May I please know why this happens, is it because the driver is being downloaded from WU. is there anyway we can avoid this delay while keeping WU enabled etc?
    Monday, May 18, 2015 4:34 AM
  • This is getting to hard to help with via the forum. So I will leave this for maybe somebody with a better crystal ball.

M5A99FX

Monday, May 18, 2015 12:19 PM
  • Any updates?

I tried this installation on win 7. There its faster. I understand that the Device Setup Manager service was introduced from Win 8 onwards. I have a couple of questions in this connection:

1. Why was Windows Update Manager service  needed in win 8?

2. Is there anything particular about device/driver installation on win 8 that slows it down due to access to Widnows update?

3. What are the differences between device installation on win 7 and win 8 w r t setup api calls/ steps etc?

4. Is there some way  one can speed up device installation on win 8 as in win 7?
    Tuesday, May 19, 2015 5:23 PM
  • When we plug a device , for some interfaces, the basic driver( inbox class driver  I suppose) seems to load first. Later as install (PnP) progresses, the class driver is replaced by the actual driver. This replacement takes time and seems to slow down the install. Any idea why this occurs? Where can I trace down the events that happens behind this resolution etc?
    Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:47 PM
  • Turn on SetupAPI logging and see what the system is doing.  That is the easiest way to understand what is really happening.

Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:51 PM
  • As I stated in the original answer, Windows update is not called for a driver install.  So questions 1 and 2 are not applicable.  For question 3 turn on SetupAPI logging on both systems and see if there are significantly different steps.  For question 4 what do you think you can do in Win7?

Thursday, June 11, 2015 6:54 PM
  • Thank you Don. But Windows update is called on both Win 7 and Win 8 versions during a device install . This can be noted in notification area in Win 7 during an install. And as for Device Setup Manager service from Win 8 onwards, the description of the service states that "Enables the detection, download and installation of device-related software. If this service is disabled, devices may be configured with outdated software, and may not work correctly."

Friday, June 12, 2015 4:04 AM
  • While I have not used Windows 7 for quite a while, having used 8 and now 10, when a new device is attached to say USB, Windows will search for a driver from the update servers

when none are found, Windows will then prompt for a driver from a local resource

M5A99FX

Friday, June 12, 2015 4:11 AM