Make App only target Windows Phone 7? RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys,

Is it possible to make a Windows Phone App target only the Windows Phone 7 platform?

I already have the Windows Phone 8 version of the app out, and changed a few things to release for Windows Phone 7 (like resolutions and limitations etc) but when I'm adding it to the marketplace it always has "Supported OS: Windows Phone 7 & 8" and doesn't allow me to change it.

I've gone through the app's properties and set Target Windows Phone Version to WP7.1 but still upon submission the auto-detected XAP settings say both WP7 and WP8 are supported. I don't want two versions of my application to appear in the marketplace and I don't really want to merge them if I can do it like this.

Thanks.

Travy92

Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:56 PM

Answers

• If you submit your 7.x xap in the same submission of the 8.0 one (in other words, in the page where you select your xap, you add 2 xaps), you will have one exatly what you're looking for.

The 7.x xap will be distributed only to 7.x phones, and the 8.0 only to WP 8.

Marco

• Marked as answer by Travis Liew Friday, February 1, 2013 1:21 AM
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:11 PM
  • If you un-publish the 8.0 version and re-submit it in the other submission that contains the 7.x app, the current users will not be notified of future updates. This is because the app will be associated to a different GUID.

Dev Center Help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help --- Submit Support Request: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:41 AM

All replies

• If you submit your 7.x xap in the same submission of the 8.0 one (in other words, in the page where you select your xap, you add 2 xaps), you will have one exatly what you're looking for.

The 7.x xap will be distributed only to 7.x phones, and the 8.0 only to WP 8.

Marco

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:11 PM
  • Thanks Marco!

I have one other query though - Since I have two submissions at the moment (One for WP7 and the other for WP8 because I didn't know you could submit two XAPS in one submission), what will happen if I delete the WP8 submission and add it's XAP to the WP7 submission?

I mean, what happens to the users that have the WP8 version? Do they get prompted to update or will they need to re-download my app, since it's essentially a new submission? This is important since there are some Paid users for that version and I wouldn't want them to have to pay again!

Thanks.

Travy92

• Edited by Travis Liew Friday, February 1, 2013 12:20 AM
    Friday, February 1, 2013 12:09 AM
  • If you un-publish the 8.0 version and re-submit it in the other submission that contains the 7.x app, the current users will not be notified of future updates. This is because the app will be associated to a different GUID.

Dev Center Help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windowsphone/help --- Submit Support Request: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=256412

Friday, February 1, 2013 12:41 AM
  • Hi,

I have just done a search asking the same question, and have come across this topic.

I am an independent developer, and my issue is that my OS is Windows 7, the system requirements for the Windows Phone SDK 8 specify that Windows 8 and 8 Pro, not Windows 7, are supported, so I am unable to install that and test my App on the Windows Phone 8 emulator provided with that SDK.

My App is a XAML/XNA game, and I have seen here that "XNA Game Studio 4.0 apps that target Windows Phone OS 7.1 remain fully supported and continue to run on Windows Phone 8 devices."
    But without testing, I am unsure, and would not like to make a submission.

I think there must be many people like me, so an option to opt out of Windows Phone 8 submission would be ideal.

Luke

Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:14 PM