none
Feature Pack / Component to Windows Feature matrix??? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there some comprehensive list or matrix that will tell you exactly what feature pack or component of a feature pack you need to install to get a specific Windows feature to work? For example, when I build an "Application Compatible" WES7 machine, I can go into local group policy and change "Removable Storage Access" settings, but when I build a custom WES7 machine, the capability is missing. Obviously, there is some feature pack / component I didn't install on my custom machine that gets installed on the App Compat machine, but I don't know which one. Looking at the feature packs in ICE or digging into the .cab files doesn't help. It would be nice if there was a better way to find out. Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated...
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:37 PM

All replies

• Hm. more details.

e.g. if you wan to use media center you can select it in the feature pack tree and than resolve the dependencies. normaly than the function is given you want.

if you want trace e.g. you "Removable Storage Access" setting you still can trace the admx file by the Registry setting. e.g. with RegFromApp form Nirsoft (tracing mmc.exe) than you can search the value in admx files than you can search in ice for the admx file than you get the component... this is some way to get to your info.

Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany
    Thursday, January 5, 2012 11:46 PM
  • Thanks KNARZ. My situation is pretty restrictive when it comes to software like RegFromApp, so I can't do that. But I did figure out what component provides access to the "Removeable Storage Access" settings by poking around in the DS and in ICE (looks like I need "DirectX and Windows Device Experience" and its dependencies)
    Friday, January 6, 2012 8:22 PM
  • Developers shouldn't have any restrictions ;)
    Windows Embedded Developer and Scripting Guy //Germany
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 1:00 PM