Robobuilder Creators Kit 5720T-S02 RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• I was waiting to see if anyone in the community responded before I replied.

This kit is not "supported" by RDS out of the box. However, it should be possible to write services for the robot. This might be too difficult for a beginner though. Does anyone out there want to give it a go?

Trevor

Sunday, November 16, 2008 10:05 PM
  •  

Hi

I have been doing a lot of research and lots fo reading, half way on your book. Yes, way to advance for my development skills. However, once a service is up there I can use it. That I can do. Havent purchased a Robot yet. The lego NTX seems great, but only 2 sensors. This will leave me with no growing space after a while. But It looks like there are more services out there for them.

Is there a repository where people are submitting developed services?????

Can I use IR for controlling a robot using MRSD instead of Bluetooth or WIFI ????

Also, any other Robor besides the Lego and Vex that can be recommended? KHR-2HV???, BIOLOID???, Robonova-I....??? I wanted to spend $300 but i might spend $1,000 if its worth it.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:13 AM
  • The NXT actually comes with several sensors, but you can only plug in four at a time. I saw somewhere that there is a "splitter" available from a third-party so you can add more sensors, but I don't remember where I saw it and I cannot guarantee that our services will work with sensor numbers greater than 4.

Also, you can buy more sensors. For instance, I bought a couple more sonar sensors because these are much more useful than, say, the sound sensor. So you should be able to put four sonar sensors on the NXT.

Another possibility, if you are good at LEGO design, is to use the third motor to rotate a sonar sensor and do a "sonar sweep". I have had this on my "to do" list for a long time, but never seem to be able to find the time to do it.

There are several ways that people publish their code. Some people self-publish, i.e. on their own web sites. You can also use Channel 9 or repositories like CodePlex. This question comes up from time to time, and we are evaluating ways to handle it.

I don't think you want to use IR to control a robot, except maybe a humanoid which might come with an IR controller, e.g. the iSobot or RoboSapien. The problem with IR is that it is easily blocked. WiFi or Bluetooth also have much greater range. However, I have wanted a general-purpose IR controller with a USB interface for a long time. I even bought one that WowWee sells, but I was disappointed to find that it only works with their robots. Does anyone in the community have suggestions for a good IR controller that is fully programmable from a PC?

Which robot you choose depends on how much C# code you are willing to write. In theory you should be able to get any robot to work with RDS if you can program it using .NET code in a managed environment.

There is code for the KHR-1 in RDS. I don't know if it will work with other KHR robots. I think you can understand that we do not have the resources to support everything that is out there. That's what the community is for :-)

Trevor

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:47 AM
  •  

Thanks Trevor

That was very helpfull. I bought my IR Receiver at http://www.usbuirt.com/

The reason I ask is because i have the I-Sobot, could not let go the chance of getting it for $99.00, but it only has infrared.

This I-Sobot little robot has petential. I wish we could add bluetooth to it.

Again, thanks for the info.

Carmelo

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 1:58 AM
  • OK, I will take a look at the USB-UIRT and see if there is a way to write a service for it. The API information is not available on their web site.

Trevor

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 6:18 PM
  •  You can test MSRDS 2008 - RoboBuilder software now.

Try to click the below link.

http://www.robobuilder.net/eng/board/board_down/board_index.asp?board_name=morgue

1) MSRDS 2008 Tutorial for Robobuilder User
      2) RoboBuilder service module for MSRDS 2008
    • Proposed as answer by SunnyRobot Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:59 AM
    • Marked as answer by Trevor Taylor Friday, January 2, 2009 8:28 PM
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:59 AM
  •  
    I forgot to mention that,

MSRS-RoboBuilder full functions are not available.

You can control Motions and Voices which are already built in RoboBuider at the present.

Looking forward to seeing fully controlled RoboBuilder by MSRS.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 4:10 AM
  • Our Korean team member is working with them to try to get full functionality. It's looking good!

Trevor
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 4:17 AM
  • You can see MSRS-RoboBuilder six demonstration.

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=t-MDIvT-O7U
    Friday, January 2, 2009 8:37 PM
  • Hi, Great job with the Software and demo. Will Robobuilder be able to speak using the text to speech MSRDS object?
    Carmelo Milian
    Friday, January 16, 2009 5:04 AM
  • I don't want to answer on behalf of RoboBuilder, but I just want to point out that the TTS service uses software that comes with Windows and therefore runs on the PC not in the robot. The speech that you hear in the video is coming from the robot.

You can use TTS with *any* robot. The only problem is that the speech will appear to come from your PC and not from the robot, unless you mount an embedded PC or laptop on your robot to run a DSS node and therefore the TTS service is actually on-board the robot. As computers continue to get smaller, I think we will see more embedded PCs in robots so eventually they will be able to do TTS on their own.

(Carmelo -- you probably understand this already, but this is for the benefit of new users).

Trevor
    Friday, January 16, 2009 8:17 PM
  • Hi!

There is a RoboBuilder 5720T in my university. My classmates and me wanted to program it with MSRDS 2008, so we installed it, with RoboBuilder service module, and we read the tutorial. But, when we tried the examples in http://www.helloapps.net/robots/RoboBuilder/index.html, we had two problems. The first was ... the robot did not move... I dont know if we installed the firmware properly, or there is another problem. The second one was with the connections in the VPL diagrams, we couldn't change them to "NotifyReceivedData", or "Alert", or "SoundPlay".

Can anyone help me, please? Thanks in advance!!!
    Thursday, May 28, 2009 2:49 AM

• RoboBuilder sells MSRDS Kit sepately, in order to test all sensors functions.

Other than sensors issues,  you can test  Speech recognition test or x box controller, or motion running with 5720T.
    • Proposed as answer by SunnyRobot Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:00 AM
    Wednesday, July 1, 2009 6:00 AM