Query about a special scheme for querying RRS feed

• Question

• I am working in a special project with SSAS, currently we need to make a lot of different queries for aggregating information from historical and current data.

We have a SSAS Multidimensional Cubes solution with all the historical information, but is neccesary integrate with the information of the current year, in our case we have though to build a SSAS Tabular Project for storing these data in Memory. The idea is can combine through a query the information from both sources (Historical in SSAS Multidimensional) and SSAS Tabular Project, but I have some doubts about the performance, the convenience, if you have some good ideas for this type of scenario I would like to hear.

Thanks.

"How many years can some people exist before they're allowed to be free" Bob Dylan Email: info@geohernandez.com Blog: geeks.ms/blogs/ghernandez

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Geovanny,

According to your description, you have a Multidimensional Cubes for historical data and a Tabular for current data. Now you get combine data from these two data source through one query. Right?

In this scenario, since the data is from two different data source, it's not supported to retrieve data from both data source and combine the data together through one query. Also I don't think you can combine Multidimensional and Tabular into one project and merge the data together. For your requirement, I suggest you use reporting tools like SSRS or Excel to open two connections to those different data sources, and you can only retrieve the data into different data regions.

Regards,

Simon Hou
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Geovanny,

According to your description, you have a Multidimensional Cubes for historical data and a Tabular for current data. Now you get combine data from these two data source through one query. Right?

In this scenario, since the data is from two different data source, it's not supported to retrieve data from both data source and combine the data together through one query. Also I don't think you can combine Multidimensional and Tabular into one project and merge the data together. For your requirement, I suggest you use reporting tools like SSRS or Excel to open two connections to those different data sources, and you can only retrieve the data into different data regions.

Regards,

Simon Hou
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:13 AM
  • I think you need to use self BI tools like Excel Powerpivot, Powerview or even normal Pivot tables in Excel for this purpose. It will have the ability to link to each of these datasources ie SSAS Multidimensional and Tabular and merge data from them. You can even define additional relationships within Powerpivot  model

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:30 AM