VS extension from VS2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am in need to create VSextension project from VS2015. but i can't find the following in VS2015

i can find only Visualstudio shell isolated.Please guide me to create VS extension project.

Note: i have installed SDK prior.

Thanks.

Kani

• Moved by Mike Danes Tuesday, May 12, 2015 5:51 AM not C++ related
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 5:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, these changes showed up before the documentation did :-S

The extensibility templates have been reengineered as item templates to better facilitate adding additional features to an already generated project. Try creating a VSIX Project first, then use "Add Item..." dialog to add a package, command or editor extension to the existing VSIX project.

Also, the VSSDK team is interested in any feedback you have, so do make use of the Send a Smile (or frown) feature, and pass along your observations/comments.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, these changes showed up before the documentation did :-S

The extensibility templates have been reengineered as item templates to better facilitate adding additional features to an already generated project. Try creating a VSIX Project first, then use "Add Item..." dialog to add a package, command or editor extension to the existing VSIX project.

Also, the VSSDK team is interested in any feedback you have, so do make use of the Send a Smile (or frown) feature, and pass along your observations/comments.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Tuesday, May 12, 2015 4:25 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Thanks, i will create project as you said and let you know if any feedbacks.

Thanks,

Kani

• Edited by Kani_mozhi Wednesday, May 13, 2015 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 4:47 AM
  • Hi Ed,

I have created add in project and came to know there are some difference between previous version and current version. If any documents to guide means it will be help full for better understanding.

thanks,

Kani

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

Try this documentation, should give you some help:

What's New in the Visual Studio 2015 SDK

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Hi caillen,

Thanks,I will go through it.I have one more doubt. I have one VSIX which provides supports to VS12. if i change the VS version to 14.0 in manifest file of that vsix, will it work on VS2015? The Custom command window project structure differs totally, will it affect the Functionality of VSIX?

Thanks

Kani

• Edited by Kani_mozhi Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:31 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2015 10:16 AM
  • Hi Kani,

VS Packages created and build with earlier versions of VS, should still work with the newer versions of VS (including VS 2015), provided the manifest includes support for 14.0.

The new codegen you see with the VS 2015 wizard results in code that looks a little different than what we used to generate, but the underlying functionality is still the same.

Note, if you are creating an extension that targets multiple versions, we still recommend you create the extension with the earliest version of VS targeted.

Sincerely,

Ed Dore

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 6:23 PM
  • Ed,

This page Creating an Extension with a VSPackage no longer applies to VS 2015, unless you're using C++. There's no mention of this on the page, which actually specifically states "go to Visual C# / Extensibility and select Visual Studio Package". The "Visual Studio Package" isn't there for C#.

This lead me to a lot of head-scratching & googling, until I finally managed to discover that the templates had changed. The official documentation, which is where I started, is wrong.

Also, is there documentation (current or upcoming) for what these templates are supposed to do? Even better would be the actual code that's manipulating the VSCT file, as I'd like to create some templates of my own.

Yann Duran
         - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011
         - Author of the A Reluctant Web Developer Blog

Monday, May 18, 2015 4:26 AM
  • I agree - pretty average that documentation does not match, especially when it says VS2015 documentation !!
    Tuesday, October 13, 2015 8:20 PM