none
Opening a port with an ActiveX control causes DEP error RRS feed

• Question

• We've built an ActiveX control that opens a port and transfers data through it using the winsock api (winsock 2).  It works fine on the machine it was coded with, the gadget chooses the port number and opens the port successfully.  However, on other machines, when the gadget tries to open the port, DEP throws a wobbler and closes Sidebar.

Does anyone know why this could be happening on those other machines?  They are Vista Home Premium as opposed to the development machine being Ultimate, all are x86, but would that really make a difference with DEP? Incidentally, the ActiveX control is coded in VB6.

Cheers,

Andy

Friday, September 28, 2007 2:05 PM

All replies

• I'd guess it's a buffer overrun in Winsock, you may have to find another way of doing it.  As you're using VB6, I don't think it will be your code as it traps that sort of issue.

Why it doesn't happen on all machines is odd, but not unheard of, it could be something trivial like byte boundaries on a memory buffer.

You could try recoding into VB.NET and use a managed library if one exists.
    Friday, September 28, 2007 7:56 PM
  • Yeah, I thought we might end up having to look at VB.NET.  Well, I suppose it's better to do it sooner rather than later.  Thanks, Jonathan.

Andy

Saturday, September 29, 2007 8:06 AM