TFS 2012 Update 3 - Alert Notifications Delayed RRS feed

• Question

• About six months ago, we performed an upgrade of TFS 2010 to TFS 2012 Update 3. Since then, all of the alerts our users have setup for checkins, work items, etc. have been delayed. This delay is not the typical 2 minute delay that is often discussed online, but rather these alerts are showing up days after the event that caused the alert. This delay is causing issues and we have determined that our messages get delivered instantly as soon as our SMTP server receives the message. Therefore, I have ruled out an issue from that end.

Whenever I look at the tbl_NotificationQueue table in the TFS_Configuration database, I see lots of messages accumulating. Eventually, these messages get released; however, they are usually two days later. I have searched for a solution for nearly a week to no avail. Does anyone have ideas or perhaps a solution to this problem?

Scott Cornette Test and Production Control Manager Liberty Tax Service

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 5:15 PM

Answers

• Both machines are synchronized to the same time service and are correct.  Also, I know that TFS now has a default delay of 120 seconds for notifications; however, these notifications are delayed for several days.  I suspect one of the services we utilize for handling the notiifcations is not using the same SOAP version as TFS.  When we removed the references to this service in the alert manager, people starting receiving other alerts almost instantaneously.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:49 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

Thanks for your post.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Please first check whether your TFS AT machine and SMTP server machine are set the same Date and Time, and be sure these two machines are in the same time zone.

In addition, you can also change notification delay setting running the Powershell Script or using the TfsReg tool.

Thanks.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:55 AM
  • Both machines are synchronized to the same time service and are correct.  Also, I know that TFS now has a default delay of 120 seconds for notifications; however, these notifications are delayed for several days.  I suspect one of the services we utilize for handling the notiifcations is not using the same SOAP version as TFS.  When we removed the references to this service in the alert manager, people starting receiving other alerts almost instantaneously.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:49 PM