none
Debugging Azure App Service w/WinDbg - can't load clr.dll RRS feed

• Question

• I have a full minidump from an Azure App Service.  It comes with the .dmp file, sos.dll and mscordacwks.dll.

I have WinDbg - x86 is the version that can open this dump file.  I then use .load c:\path\to\sos.dll.  This doesn't give an error, but no other output, either.

The next suggested command, !sos.threads, gives:

Failed to find runtime DLL (clr.dll), 0x80004005
    Extension commands need clr.dll in order to have something to do.

I have tried .load directly on mscordacwks.dll, renaming it to clr.dll.  I've copied that file into my symbols path, and renaming it to mscordaccore_X86_X86_4.6.24628.01.dll, which came up at one point during my quest here.

I've also tried running the DebugDiag 2 analysis tool, but it says it can't load mscordacwks, despite it being in the same folder, also when it's in the symbol path, also when it's renamed to that specific version above which is listed here too.

I just want to know why my App Service gets stuck at 100% CPU after a random amount of time!  What next steps can I try?

Friday, December 9, 2016 7:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Kieren,

Have you tried DumpChk to analysis of your crash dump file? It enables you to see summary information about what the dump file contains.  If the dump file is corrupt in such a way that it cannot be opened by a debugger, DumpChk reveals this fact.

>>"I just want to know why my App Service gets stuck at 100% CPU after a random amount of time!  What next steps can I try?"

Azure App Service provides 3 ways to profile a process in Azure App Service and get the CPU usage report. 

• Using Visual Studio 2015
    • Browsing the Azure App Service's Site Control Management dashboard (aka kudu)
    • Using REST APIs

Maybe you could get something from these report. For more information, link below is for your reference.

Remote Profiling support in Azure App Service

Best Regards,
    Li Wang

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Saturday, December 10, 2016 2:50 AM