Trial Period

Question

• Hi,

I am having a metro style application in the Windows 8 application store. It is not free, and I set the price as $0.99 in the app store. Now there are some downloads from users.

The Microsoft provides a Try button in Windows 8 application store for this application, so that users can try it for one week. Now I would like to know how to set the trial version to expire, and the application cannot be used after one-week trial? Does Windows 8 application store have some echanism to control it, or I have to set it somewhere in my application?

Thanks a lot.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 1:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• Yes you can set the trial period when you submit the app.  If the time expires the store will prompt them to ask them to purchase the app and it will not run.

See this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/apps/hh694065

PS.  $0.99 is not a valid price.  Read through these sections: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694079.aspx

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:28 PM
  • Thanks a lot for providing the hyperlinks. But I still have question about it:

I put the initializeLicense() into the funtion at default.js file. However, when I debug the code, it does not go in the function of reloadLicense(), even if I set the breakpoint in this function. Any ideas about it? Thanks a lot. 

(function () {

"use strict"; var app = WinJS.Application; var activation = Windows.ApplicationModel.Activation; WinJS.strictProcessing(); app.onactivated = function (args) { if (args.detail.kind === activation.ActivationKind.launch) { if (args.detail.previousExecutionState !== activation.ApplicationExecutionState.terminated) { initializeLicense(); } else { // TODO: This application has been reactivated from suspension. // Restore application state here. } args.setPromise(WinJS.UI.processAll()); } };

}

function initializeLicense()
        {
            // some app initialization functions

// Initialize the license info for use in the app that is uploaded to the Store.
            // uncomment for release
            // currentApp = Windows.ApplicationModel.Store.CurrentApp;

// Initialize the license info for testing.
            // comment the next line for release
            currentApp = Windows.ApplicationModel.Store.CurrentAppSimulator;

// Get the license info
            licenseInformation = currentApp.licenseInformation;

// Register for the license state change event.
            licenseInformation.addEventListener("licensechanged", reloadLicense);
        }

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 6:52 AM
  • You will only get a licensechanged event when the license changes.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Hello I don't understand explication the  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/windows/apps/hh694065 I am seeing how to add trial period in my App, I am Reading how I can use the trial period in my App do you know how I create trial period y my App? 
    Monday, April 29, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Hi O,

Simply put there are two options:

You can follow that article and try the demo to understand how to offer features on a trial basis. 

If you want the app to expire after a time... When you go to the selling your app details and give your app a price, you have the option to set the free trial period.  After the trial period the app will not run and the user will get a message that it has expired.

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Monday, April 29, 2013 12:05 PM