Moving Web Part Pages with Content Editor Web Parts RRS feed

• Question

• In our MOSS 2007 application, we were moving a document library from one site to another (on the same site collection).  In the library, there were several web part pages (.aspx) that contained Content Editor Web Parts.

The pages were copied (using Manage Content and Structure) and they contained the Content Editor Web Parts.After the move, but all of the Content Editor Web Parts were blank.  I thought that the content was saved on the page but it looks like I was mistaken.

Is there a way to move these Web Part Pages while preserving the Content Editor Web Parts?

Thanks!

• Edited by David-W Friday, May 20, 2011 1:08 PM added more details
    Friday, May 20, 2011 1:07 PM

Answers

• I did save the document library as a template and then created the new document library.  Unfortunately, all of the Web Part Pages lost their Content Editor Web Part information.

In the end, we just spent a week copying the information out of the web parts one by one.  It was very tedious but got the job done.  I'm not sure where the CEWB information is stored in SharePoint or why it doesn't get copied, but it's a real pain.

v/r,

David Wicke

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:32 AM

All replies

• Hi David-W,

First save the document library as a template with content and then from that template create a new document library which contains all your data on the page.

Please let us know results.

Warm Regards, Pratik Vyas | SharePoint Consultant | http://sharepointpratik.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:37 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by David-W Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:32 AM
    • Proposed as answer by sukku's Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:14 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, July 6, 2011 10:52 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:15 PM
  • I did save the document library as a template and then created the new document library.  Unfortunately, all of the Web Part Pages lost their Content Editor Web Part information.

In the end, we just spent a week copying the information out of the web parts one by one.  It was very tedious but got the job done.  I'm not sure where the CEWB information is stored in SharePoint or why it doesn't get copied, but it's a real pain.

v/r,

David Wicke

Wednesday, July 6, 2011 9:32 AM