Performance analysis (profiling) of a DLL for a Coded UI test RRS feed

• Question

• My Coded UI test runs very slowly so I want to try some performance analysis or code profiling to find the bottlenecks.

The Performance Wizard says "No launchable projects available to profile in the current solution" and it asks for an executable or URL (for ASP.NET or JavaScript). There are none of these in the folders of my Coded UI project. I tried giving the Wizard the DLL but that leads to a popup saying "You must provide at least one launch binary".

How can I profile a Coded UI test?

(VS 2010 SP1, C#)

I asked the same question in the Coded UI forum and was referred to this forum.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi AdrianHHH,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

I couldn’t profile it in the VS IDE, I’m afraid that the profile tool in VS couldn’t profile the coded UI test project.

Like Eric’s suggestion in this thread, you would check which object impacted the coded UI test.

You would check that whether it is related to your Environment or the coded UI test code. You could try to debug your coded UI test, and find the real reason. Thanks for your understanding.

In addition, Forrest shared us an idea with Script process, maybe it could help.

Adding Profiler to coded UI test doesn't work?

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, October 19, 2012 9:09 AM
  • Hi Jack

Thank you for the comments but that is not an answer. Following the ideas in the other thread is useful but the question here is how do you do Performance analysis or profiling on a Coded UI test.

Regards

Adrian

Friday, November 2, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Hi AdrianHHH,

Sorry for my reply no help.

One idea is that you could use CodedUITest with the Load Test for profiling.

But if you just want to use the profile tool to analysis the coded UI test project, you can submit this feedback to Microsoft Connect feedback portal: http://connect.microsoft.com, Microsoft engineers will evaluate them seriously. Thanks for your understanding.

Note:  The feedback is t for the VS2012 version, I try to check it, it has the same issue with VS2012. So you could submit this feedback for VS2012. If you submit it, please share us the link here, I will help your vote it. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, November 2, 2012 9:12 AM
  • Hi Amanda

Than you for the reply. I have posted the idea to Microsoft Connect feedback, see: http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/users/29887177-adrianhhh

Regards

Adrian

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:20 AM
  • Hello Adrian,

Hi Amanda

Than you for the reply. I have posted the idea to Microsoft Connect feedback, see:http://visualstudio.uservoice.com/users/29887177-adrianhhh

Regards

I'm Jack J

I will Vote it. Thank you for sending suggestions to us, it will make Visual Studio better.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]

Friday, November 2, 2012 10:27 AM
  • I'm Jack J

Whoops! Sorry about that. I was trying to post similar to two threads and then the forum software started grumbling that "An unexpected error has occurred".

Apologies

Adrian

Friday, November 2, 2012 11:04 AM