none
installation crashes at 60.120.142

Question

• I'm getting the following exception. After clean reinstall and retries the same issue. I installed the drivers for the i350 gigabyte adapter and chipset drivers.

Type 'Configure' of Role 'WAS' raised an exception:

Exception calling "OpenWebConfiguration" with "2" argument(s): "Specified argument was out of the
    range of valid values.
    Parameter name: site"
    at Set-WebsiteSettings,
    D:\AzureStack.Setup.5.14.578\content\Setup\Scripts\Website\WebsiteConfig.psm1: line 171
    at <ScriptBlock>,
    D:\AzureStack.Setup.5.14.578\content\Setup\Scripts\Website\Set-WebsiteSettings.ps1: line 31
    at <ScriptBlock>, <No file>: line 127 - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    Invoke-EceAction : 1> Task: Invocation of interface 'Configure' of role 'Cloud\Fabric\WAS' failed:
    Type 'Configure' of Role 'WAS' raised an exception:
    Exception calling "OpenWebConfiguration" with "2" argument(s): "Specified argument was out of the
    range of valid values.
    Parameter name: site"
    at Set-WebsiteSettings,
    D:\AzureStack.Setup.5.14.578\content\Setup\Scripts\Website\WebsiteConfig.psm1: line 171
    at <ScriptBlock>,
    D:\AzureStack.Setup.5.14.578\content\Setup\Scripts\Website\Set-WebsiteSettings.ps1: line 31
    at <ScriptBlock>, <No file>: line 127 - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    At C:\CloudDeployment\Setup\DeployMultiNode.ps1:943 char:5
    +     Invoke-EceAction -RolePath $masterRole -ActionType $actionPlan @d ...
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Invoke-EceAction], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ArgumentOutOfRangeException,Set-WebsiteSettings,CloudEngine.Cmdlets.
       InvokeCmdlet

VERBOSE: 1> Step: Status of step '60.140.142 - (Katal) Configure WAS VMs.' is 'Error'. - 11/19/2017
     7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: 1> Checking if any of the in progress steps are complete. The following steps are
    currently in progress: '60.140.142'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: 1> Action: Action plan 'Deployment-Phase5-ConfigureWASAndCreateStorageAccounts' failed.
    Finish running all steps that are currently in progress before exiting. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: 1> Draining all steps that are still in progress. The following steps are still in
    progress or just completed: '60.140.142'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: 1> Action: Action plan 'Deployment-Phase5-ConfigureWASAndCreateStorageAccounts' failed. -
    11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    Invoke-EceAction : 1> Action: Invocation of step 60.140.142 failed. Stopping invocation of action
    plan. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (:) [Invoke-EceAction], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Unspecified error,CloudEngine.Cmdlets.InvokeCmdlet

VERBOSE: 1> Action: Status of 'Deployment-Phase5-ConfigureWASAndCreateStorageAccounts' is 'Error'.
    - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    COMPLETE: Task Cloud - Deployment-Phase5-ConfigureWASAndCreateStorageAccounts
    VERBOSE: 1> Task: Status of action 'Deployment-Phase5-ConfigureWASAndCreateStorageAccounts' of role
     'Cloud' is 'Error'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Step: Status of step '60.140 - Phase 5 - DeployServices' is 'Error'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10
    PM
    VERBOSE: Checking if any of the in progress steps are complete. The following steps are currently
    in progress: '60.140'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment-Phase2-ConfigureStack' failed. Finish running all steps
    that are currently in progress before exiting. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Draining all steps that are still in progress. The following steps are still in progress
    or just completed: '60.140'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment-Phase2-ConfigureStack' failed. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    Invoke-EceAction : Action: Invocation of step 60.140 failed. Stopping invocation of action plan. -

VERBOSE: Action: Status of 'Deployment-Phase2-ConfigureStack' is 'Error'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    COMPLETE: Task Cloud - Deployment-Phase2-ConfigureStack
    VERBOSE: Task: Status of action 'Deployment-Phase2-ConfigureStack' of role 'Cloud' is 'Error'. -
    VERBOSE: Step: Status of step '60 - Phase 2 - ConfigureVMs' is 'Error'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Checking if any of the in progress steps are complete. The following steps are currently
    in progress: '60'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment' failed. Finish running all steps that are currently in
    progress before exiting. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Draining all steps that are still in progress. The following steps are still in progress
    or just completed: '60'. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    VERBOSE: Action: Action plan 'Deployment' failed. - 11/19/2017 7:11:10 PM
    Invoke-EceAction : Action: Invocation of step 60 failed. Stopping invocation of action plan. -

Sunday, November 19, 2017 6:22 PM

Answers

• Ok,

Since support is non-existing i figured it out in the meantime. The issue i had was due to spindle performance. To much was vested on the 500GB OS disk i had. I switched it out for a SSD instead as OS disk and it ran till step 60. I had to rerun it again from there but it was smooth sailing.

Regards,

Reinout Pennings

Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:21 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Have you tried rerunning the deployment to see if it'll get past the step it was failling at?

We will need to collect some logs in order to investigate these types of deployment issues.

If you could, please email ascustfeedback@microsoft.com to get a workspace setup to upload your logs.

Make sure to use a Work, Organizational or Student address when contacting ascustfeedback@microsoft.com and include the thread URL in the subject. 

To expedite your investigation, please provide the following information: 

Build/Version:  

Get-Content"C:\CloudDeployment\Configuration\Version\version.xml"  

Directory type:  

Azure AD or ADFS 

Network:  

Static or DHCP.  

The method used to access the Internet:  

NAT, Web Proxy, Transparent  Proxy, DMZ or Closed 

BareMetal or Nested Hyper-V: 

Deployment parameters used: 

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you continue experience any issues with ASDK release, feel free to contact us.

Thanks, 

Gary Gallanes

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:13 PM
  • Hi Gary,

I tried emailing this from my work account but it seems I'm allowed to mail that group?

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 8:58 PM
  • I mailed it finaly from my outlook account. My other work email is also in there.
    Thursday, November 23, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Ok,

Since support is non-existing i figured it out in the meantime. The issue i had was due to spindle performance. To much was vested on the 500GB OS disk i had. I switched it out for a SSD instead as OS disk and it ran till step 60. I had to rerun it again from there but it was smooth sailing.

Regards,

Reinout Pennings

Sunday, November 26, 2017 7:21 PM
  • Hello,

We really appreciate that you replied back with your resolution as it truly benefits the community. Brilliant.

ASDK Deployment failure, “at or around 60.140” has been a difficult issue to root cause. You were able to isolate your deployment failure down to a to “Spindle performance issue”. 

If possible, would you mind sharing how you were able to determine that to be the issue?

Also - I apologize for my delayed responses for post made week of 11/19 – 11/25.

We had limited coverage for Forum support as there was a National Holiday and several of our key engineers were out on holiday.  

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your time and interest in Azure Stack.

If you continue experience any issues with ASDK release, feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

Gary Gallanes

Monday, November 27, 2017 3:20 AM
  • Hi,

Sadly in didn't save the counters I had running but what I noticed was that the time and disk queuing for the OS, ( I also had the VHD on there ofcourse...) disk queue was more than 2 (somewhere in the 20+) which results in failed IO. that left process just hanging there unresponsive. I don't know why the rerun didn't fix that, maybe something didn't finish correctly?

Switching to the SSD removed the disk queuing issue and the install finished fast with no specific settings except that I selected AAD. (same as with HDD, which I tried 10x times clean, drivers, etc. but it never worked...)

Then I noticed a bunch of other things. I wanted to do a installation matching my specific settings and the following things also gave errors with katal vm as earlier in my previous installation with the HDD.

so I ran again with my SSD specifying AAD, GMT+1, no DHCP but specific ip's in a 10.x.x.x /16 block. It failed, I tried updating drivers, nic's, etc. Didn't fix the installation at 60.140.142, tried removing the storage pool afterwards manually. I was going nuts...

Then I resolved doing the basic install with DHCP again just to see if it was a lucky shot, time zone back to the default and AAD. it crashed at 60.140.142, rerun didn't work. I remembered I didn't delete the storage pool from the previous install (I did do all the drivers). Removed the storage pool did everything again from scratch and it ran flawlessly, did the same thing again for kicks....again no problems. (storage pool?)

Just for *fun and giggles I deleted everything again and retried the install with specific settings for time and it crashed again...!?

So I'm about to do it with the default time again and then with static IP as the different value. If this works it's a mismatch between time? I'll let you know what happens.

regards,

Reinout Pennings

Monday, December 04, 2017 3:24 PM
  • I've run the installation again with custom settings except for NTP. And it ran without a glitch.

- Deleted the existing storagepool, cleaned the disks.

- Ran with Custom name

- Ran with Custom IP configuration in 10.0.x.0/16

No issues what so ever.

Thursday, December 07, 2017 8:14 AM