template concept in asp.net RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have to create a portal using Asp.net.

I need to know whether we have any concept of templates in asp.net like in MOSS 2007 which i can create and reuse the same template across different webpages of the site

Regards

Friday, February 1, 2008 1:26 PM

Answers

• This isn't really an architecture question, so you're less likely to get good responses to the questions that you ask in here.

In response to your question, take a look at master pages, as I believe that is what you are talking about?

Kind Regards,

Martin Platt.

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:03 AM

All replies

• This isn't really an architecture question, so you're less likely to get good responses to the questions that you ask in here.

In response to your question, take a look at master pages, as I believe that is what you are talking about?

Kind Regards,

Martin Platt.

Monday, February 4, 2008 2:03 AM
  • There are many different ways of doing this and all the CMS/Portal systems available use them all. It sounds like you are talking about things like Web Parts and Web Controls. Many CMS's also have the idea of modules, which are similar.

Can I also ask why you are developing one when there are so many available already? The cost of doing it yourself would be so much higher!

Thursday, February 7, 2008 7:30 AM
  • Hi Dork,

Thanks for replying to my query.

Actaually i am thinking of whether to develop this application as custom asp.net website or using any portal server like Sharepoint.

Problems i am facing are:

1) I need role based security on each of the webpart with seperate module for role and permission configuration

2) Audit trail of the inserts, updates done through the web application

3) I don't know any portal server available for .Net other than SharePoint.I can't use Sharepoint because of its shortcomings like poor exception handling, large learning curve for developers etc.

Can you please suggest the suitable product or approach to implement this in Custom Asp.net application

Regards

TicArch

Thursday, February 7, 2008 10:45 AM
  •  

Hi TicArch,

you may take a look at DotNetNuke in order to decide if could solve the issues you are facing. I provide you both the project home page and a more neutral definition on Wikipedia (with some criticism to also take into account)

But eventually you could reask the question to ASP.NET experts as they probably have run on your doubts before. Their forum is at http://forums.asp.net/

Tuesday, April 29, 2008 10:01 PM