none
Windows embedded standard 7 image building wizard toolkit license RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

If i use the image building wizard on a device to build an image, do I still need to purchase a license for the windows standard 7 toolkit as well as the standard 7 license even though I'm not using the toolkit?

Thanks, Zane

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:20 AM

All replies

• The license for the toolkit is not beed for an IBW install. You will need the license key for the image.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

• Marked as answer by Zane Williams Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:02 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Zane Williams Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:22 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:24 AM
  • Thanks Sean, I've been trying to explain that to my supplier, however they keep coming back at me saying I need to purchase the toolkit even though I am just using the IBW.

This is the last reply I go after I tried to explain it to them again;

"Morning Zane,

May I clarify what do you mean by “separate image to the Toolkit”? How long can this image last?

After customer had purchased the toolkit, they will have the product key provided by Microsoft where they can activate and execute WES 7 programs and tools which including IBW & ICE.

You may choose to download evaluation version and review the SKU comparison for your project but you will need to purchase the development tool to actually create the final image that can last without any trial period.

URL: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/how-to-buy-windows-embedded-standard-7.aspx

Again, It is a courtesy that Authorised Distributors must provide a copy of appropriate Embedded OEM Customer License Agreement and Additional terms at the time when toolkit is purchased.

I hope this will help you to understand the procedure better before any Embedded licenses are sold.

Once you have the full development tools, you are free to purchase and order as many runtime license as you like provided if you have signed the e-CLA.

Look forward to assist you further.

Best regards,"

Are they trying to wrangle extra money out of me or something I don't need, or is there some connection between the toolkit licenses and the IBW that I cant see???

Thanks,

Zane

Thursday, October 11, 2012 12:24 AM
  • Where did you get the IBW - evaluation download or MSDN? If this is the evaluation, then you do need to purchase the kit.

Besides, it is better to build a custom IBW disk using ICE than installing from IBW. IBW is just a quick and dirty solution to get up and running.

-Sean

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:54 AM