Unable to MajorUpgrade MSI package that was incorrectly released RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a problem with developing Windows Installer package. Recently I have passed three iterations of my application (1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.0.3). As a result every version has individual msi package. Today I have noticed that some of files are incorrectly updated. I have checked all log files and I have found the source of my problem. I have removed a component from a feature, but I have not changed the product code:

MSI log:

MSI (c) (70:E0) [17:06:44:636]: SELMGR: ComponentId '{GUID_1}' is registered to feature 'GeneralFiles', but is not present in the Component table.  Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
    MSI (c) (70:E0) [17:06:44:636]: SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported

This mistake was made in the middle version 1.0.2. Every file in feature GeneralFiles has a 1.0.1 version number and it should be 1.0.3. I have changed the product code in 1.0.3 version, but it will not work on updating version 1.0.2 (updating 1.0.1 is OK).

I have also noticed that these files from GeneralFiles feature are not removed during uninstall the 1.0.2 version. I have found an article that describes in 3rd paragraph this eact issue: http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q200372

What can I do to release another version that will fix the fualty one?

Monday, May 6, 2013 4:04 PM