Excel MDX designer RRS feed

• Question

• I'm able to validate the code, but I am not able to open the designer.  When I try, I get this message:

Cannot load the query designer. If you contact Microsoft support about this error, provide the following message:  An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 1, position 1283..

Please Advise

Monday, February 20, 2017 7:02 PM

Answers

• Have you edited the code that the designer generated? The designers have specific ways of structuring queries and often if you edit a query by hand it may still run and validate, but the designer cannot translate the edits back into a graphical view.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:00 AM
  • Hi Sulsa2,

What are version of SQL Server and Excel? The error may be caused by compatibility between them. After research, I find a article which describes the similar error message, please try the solution and check if it still has the issue.

If you have other problem, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:09 AM
  • I recall having encountered a similar error when, in a blank workbook, I had created a table from a local .odc file (Power Pivot -> Home -> Existing Connections), rather than from a newly created connection. I would then be able to create the table with Query designer, but would not be able to modify it afterwards. So annoying that it has become a habit to create new connections when designing a new Power Pivot model. You can safely re-use connections in the "Power Pivot data connections" section, but not those listed under "Local Connections". 
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:00 AM

All replies

• Have you edited the code that the designer generated? The designers have specific ways of structuring queries and often if you edit a query by hand it may still run and validate, but the designer cannot translate the edits back into a graphical view.

http://darren.gosbell.com - please mark correct answers

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:00 AM
  • Hi Sulsa2,

What are version of SQL Server and Excel? The error may be caused by compatibility between them. After research, I find a article which describes the similar error message, please try the solution and check if it still has the issue.

If you have other problem, don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 2:09 AM
  • I recall having encountered a similar error when, in a blank workbook, I had created a table from a local .odc file (Power Pivot -> Home -> Existing Connections), rather than from a newly created connection. I would then be able to create the table with Query designer, but would not be able to modify it afterwards. So annoying that it has become a habit to create new connections when designing a new Power Pivot model. You can safely re-use connections in the "Power Pivot data connections" section, but not those listed under "Local Connections". 
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 8:00 AM