none
UDP-RT (Real Time Protocol) Implementation [VB.net and Visual Studio 2017) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to update a 15 year old program that allows remote operation of an amateur radio over the internet and which transmits the radio's received audio over the internet to the computer using UDP-RT. The original implementation was done using VB6 and UDP-RT. The radio's firmware is fixed and must use this interface.  

I cannot find any means to implement a UDP-RT socket in VB.Net, or in .net for that matter. I have implemented a basic UDP socket but when the radio's data stream is initiated from my vb.net program, my WireShark sniffer identifies the data stream as GVSP (GigE Vision Streaming Protocol) with an unknown format. When WireShark captures the radio's data when it is initiated from the legacy software, it is identified as a UDP stream and does not show any 'unknown format' flags.  It appears that my utility is implementing an improper socket.

How can one implement UDP-RT using VB.net (manual coding preferred) or via VS2017? My application is not web based.

Are there libraries that I need to import?

Is there a different forum group for real time applications?

The current socket implementation is:

Dim hostname As String = Dns.GetHostName
    Dim myipaddress As IPAddress = Dns.GetHostByName(hostname).AddressList.GetValue(0)

Dim RIPremoteEP As New IPEndPoint(ipAddress, port + 2)
    Dim RIPlocalEP As New IPEndPoint(myipaddress, port + 2)

' Connect to the remote endpoint.
            ' Do same for RIP socket
    RIPclient.Bind(RIPlocalEP)
    RIPclient.Connect(RIPremoteEP)
    The radio's data stream is received via an Asynchronous Receive process and works well.

Bob
    bobgn1@cox.net

Bob Goodwin

Sunday, October 8, 2017 2:44 PM

All replies

• Bob,

I get a lot of errors shown when I use OPTION STRICT ON as I showed how to use in this thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/9eb8feb2-72cb-4309-92b3-ce210f65f8c5/need-help-for-convert-ntp-time-on-text-box-to-utc0530-sri-jayawardenepura-time-zone-sri-lanka?forum=vbgeneral

Are some of these the problem? If something is not declared the vb.net way then you will get that err msg you show.

PS if you use the suggestions in the err msg from the mouse pointer it sometimes shows the imports for the function your are coding. Click it to add the ref to your form. You may need to add a ref to the dll in the project properties if you are using some 3rd party or etc .dll.

If you don't declare what things are sometimes vb will assume the wrong thing so best to declare everything. Using option strict it wont run until you fix them.

So if that is what the problem is fix those up as then tell us what happens.

ie after adding imports there is this and etc.:

as far as vb knows in the above ripclient is a generic object with no value.

PS You should not post your e m a I l addr !

Sunday, October 8, 2017 2:50 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I did not know about the ability to use the mouse pointer to identify needed Imports. That said, the above 'errors' that you circles are not actually errors. The code extract in the original query lacks the full context of the program it is in and was shown only to point out which commands I was using to implement the socket. There are no errors, and no red lined code in the actual program.

My problem is in creating a UDP-RT socket, not in working with NTP.

Thanks again.

Bob Goodwin

Sunday, October 8, 2017 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for the information. I did not know about the ability to use the mouse pointer to identify needed Imports. That said, the above 'errors' that you circles are not actually errors. The code extract in the original query lacks the full context of the program it is in and was shown only to point out which commands I was using to implement the socket. There are no errors, and no red lined code in the actual program.

My problem is in creating a UDP-RT socket, not in working with NTP.

Thanks again.

Bob Goodwin

I am sure someone will be along that knows that part. :)

Is this what you mean?

https://www.codeproject.com/articles/275715/real-time-communications-over-udp-protocol-udp-rt

Sunday, October 8, 2017 4:10 PM
  • Yes.  That is exactly what I mean.  I had read it before and it is a great case study discussion but, alas,  it has no implementation guidance. 

Bob

Bob Goodwin

Sunday, October 8, 2017 4:25 PM
  • Hi BobGn,

I find two example about communication using UDP, you can refer to:

http://www.winsocketdotnetworkprogramming.com/clientserversocketnetworkcommunication8s.html 

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/8877/UDP-Send-and-Receive-using-threads-in-VB-NET

Hope it is helpful to you.

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 13, 2017 8:44 AM
  • Ms. Bu,
       Thank you for the reply.  These links refer to implementation of basic UDP, which I currently have working in my project.  My need is to implement UDP-RT, which is an implementation of the Real Time Transport Protocol over UDP.  RFC 3550 pertains.  To date, I cannot find any instantiation of this protocol in vb.net or VS2017.

Bob
    bobgn1@cox.net

Bob Goodwin

Friday, October 13, 2017 11:27 AM
  • Hi BobGn,

I find one example that about provide services useful for the transport of real-time media, such as audio and video, over IP networks., may be you can take a look, hope it is helpful to you.

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/18977/How-to-use-the-managed-RTP-API-classes-in-NET-to-c

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 7:29 AM