How can use windows crystalreport viewer at client profile 4? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all
    How can use windows crystal-report viewer object at client profile 4?
    Can we hope crystal support client - profile4?

or every knows that can use active-report with client profile?

thanks all.
    Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:14 AM

Answers

• If you have strong opinion on this, I would suggest you to create a suggestion on Microsoft Connect. That way you will get an official response from Crystal Reports team.

BTW: It is way too late for client-profile in .NET 4, because .NET 4 is almost done (there has been already RC released earlier this year) and change like this is quite a big change in packaging, testing, etc. If this will ever be implemented (and I don't know if that's true or false), don't count on it for .NET Framework 4.

-Karel
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Friday, March 19, 2010 2:12 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:48 PM

All replies

• Crystal report is not on the list of .NET Client Profile 3.5 areas/assemblies:
        List of areas: http://blogs.windowsclient.net/trickster92/archive/2008/05/21/introducing-the-net-framework-client-profile.aspx
        List of assemblies: http://blogs.msdn.com/bclteam/archive/2008/05/21/net-framework-client-profile-justin-van-patten.aspx

I don't think that the list of assemblies in .NET Client Profile 4 has changed. It is the same list.

-Karel

Saturday, March 13, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Thanks Karel

But crystal-report team or Microsoft don't have any plans to support client-profile4?

If there is not any plan it is big disadvantage of client-profile because only rdl/rdlc viewer can be used in client-profile.

We think view report is client side job and should be in client profile assembly!!!!!!!

I found that  currently can't use activereport in client profile maybe because use of system.design dll,

Sunday, March 14, 2010 6:10 AM
  • Note that the goal of client-profile is to support most .NET client apps, it doesn't try to support all of them.
    My personal understanding is that crystal reports are not major scenario for client-profile. It is not on the list of client-profile main features.
    For more details read this article, particulary this section:
        If your client app depends on an assembly that isn't listed above, let us know.  I can't guarantee that we'll add the assembly to the Client Profile for RTM, but we'll certainly consider it.  Keep in mind that the more assemblies we add, the more dependencies we may need to pull in, and the larger the package becomes.  This translates into longer download/install times and less reliable installs.  We're aiming to keep the Client Profile as small as possible while still providing the right amount of functionality to satisfy the needs of most .NET client apps.

I don't know about crystal report team plans. I hope that someone on this forum can answer that question.

-Karel
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Note that the goal of client-profile is to support most .NET client apps, it doesn't try to support all of them.
    My personal understanding is that crystal reports are not major scenario for client-profile. It is not on the list of client-profile main features .
    For more details read this article , particulary this section:
        If your client app depends on an assembly that isn't listed above, let us know.  I can't guarantee that we'll add the assembly to the Client Profile for RTM, but we'll certainly consider it.  Keep in mind that the more assemblies we add, the more dependencies we may need to pull in, and the larger the package becomes.  This translates into longer download/install times and less reliable installs.  We're aiming to keep the Client Profile as small as possible while still providing the right amount of functionality to satisfy the needs of most .NET client apps .

I don't know about crystal report team plans. I hope that someone on this forum can answer that question.

-Karel

Yes i agree client profile "most .NET client apps, it doesn't try to support all of them"
    and it must "keep the Client Profile as small as possible" but reporting in client side is needed in most application(we think so) and large number of .net app uses crystal-report(we have about 600 report in crystal) and convert these report to rdlc need time and money(and SSRS is new and may have weakness like powerless designer and save report with data and... )
    we wish Microsoft or crystal team  think about it for client profile4.

any way thank you Karel.

Monday, March 15, 2010 10:41 AM
  • If you have strong opinion on this, I would suggest you to create a suggestion on Microsoft Connect. That way you will get an official response from Crystal Reports team.

BTW: It is way too late for client-profile in .NET 4, because .NET 4 is almost done (there has been already RC released earlier this year) and change like this is quite a big change in packaging, testing, etc. If this will ever be implemented (and I don't know if that's true or false), don't count on it for .NET Framework 4.

-Karel
    • Marked as answer by Harry Zhu Friday, March 19, 2010 2:12 AM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:48 PM
  • It is a blog post  about crystal report in Visual-Studio :

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/wlg/14514

Unfortunately it will not support client profile 4.!!!

and it is Microsoft connection post

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/545142/crystalreport-windows-report-viewer-control-at-client-profile-4

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:56 AM