SSRS 2016 with database hosted on Azure SQL Managed Instance RRS feed

• Question

• The documentation here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/install-windows/ssrs-report-server-create-a-report-server-database?view=sql-server-ver15#database-server-version-requirements

Says "APPLIES TO: SQL Server 2016 Reporting Services and later "

However, when using SSRS 2016 Configuration Manager and specifying a Managed Instance for the database server I am unable to create a new ReportServer database. I receive an error that an "ALTER DATABASE" statement failed and I see the following in the trace log:

"ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ServerConfigurationErrorException: Cannot get edition information from catalog server"

I am using SQL authentication and have also tried creating the database locally and performing a backup and restore to Managed Instance and I see the same error in the trace logs. I also get that error when trying to delete or restore encryption keys. Selecting a remote SQL VM for the database succeeds.

Can SSRS 2016 use Azure SQL Managed Instance for the database, as the documentation shows?

Thursday, August 6, 2020 10:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Michael,

Where have you installed SSRS , locally or on Azure VM?

As the document suggest,

"

While SQL Managed Instance cannot run SSRS as a service, it can host SSRS catalog databases for a reporting server installed on Azure Virtual Machine, using SQL Server authentication.

"

In order  to use SQL Managed Instance, the SSRS server need to be on Azure VM.

Regards,

Joy

""SQL Server related"" forum will be migrated to a new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "SQL Server related" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A SQL Server !
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Proposed as answer by Joy_Zhao Wednesday, August 12, 2020 3:10 AM
    Friday, August 7, 2020 5:49 AM