Complex attribute validation during creation/edition of an entity RRS feed

• General discussion

• I need to define "complex" attribute validation when a user add or edit entities. For an example I would like to check the phone number format when a user edits this attribute by comparing it to a regular expression.
    From what I see it is only possible to do it through Business Rules, but the drawback is that the modification is saved to the database and the user is not able to know the expected format when he enters the data.
    The "Data Type" validation (if the attribute type is "text", "number" or "url") blocks the add/edit request if a value is not valid and displays a popup that highlights the invalid value. This behaviour is nice but is there a way to extend it? Is it possible to define new Data Types with validation based on regular expression comparison?

In the documentation (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh231030.aspx), it is only explained how to create business rules.

By the way, in the Master Data Services database, there is a table named "mdm.tblAttributeValidation" and the "mdm.tblAttribute" table seems to reference to it with the column "AttributeValidation_ID". What is this table for? I didn't find any documentation about it.

Thank you,
    Bastien
    Friday, August 10, 2012 4:23 PM