none
Mouseover problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.  I am having a problem with my mouseover buttons in expression web. 

Here is a site where the buttons work ok:

http://www.JakeBurtonMusic.com/drummer

Here is a site where the buttons don't work:

http://www.JakeBurtonMusic.com/gear

I can see that the buttons on the gear page don't work because they are pointing to my C drive.  When I open behaviors and then try to change the name of the directory and get rid of the "C", expression web tells me that there is a script error and changes the directory back to the C drive.  If I try to modify the code directly in the html and then hit save, it does the same thing and changes my directory back.  I cannot figure out how to fix this problem.

Thank you!

Jake

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:47 AM

All replies

• First, I notice that you have directories with spaces in the name.  Don't do that on the web.  Rename them to remove the space.

Since I have no idea specifically what you are doing, I can't tell you what script error you are creating by doing it.

You may find it faster to just delete the buttons and re-add them.

(Those old FP style javascript buttons are more trouble than they are worth.  You can do the same with CSS. Look at the links in the templates that come with EW.)

Thursday, October 14, 2010 7:00 AM

• As Kathy said, you really should ditch those old FP-style rollovers. Look at your <body> element opening tag—what a ton of garbage. Then look at all the junk associated with each of the rollover elements. There are more compact, more modern, and more effective equivalents available for use.

That said, a common cause for the issue that you are seeing is that you are not working within a defined Web. If you simply open the page file as a file and work on it, EW has no context to determine how to convert from file-based to relative paths, and is unable to use metadata to manage the site.

In EW4, if that is what you are using, use Site|Open Site to open the folder containing your Web site. Once the site is open and your files appear in the Folder List on the left, open your individual pages from there. Now EW will be able to automatically convert those file-system-based urls into relative paths for you.

cheers,
    scott
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Do you have any recommendations on where to find css code to do the mouseover picture swap?  Or can you briefly tell me how to do the more modern way of doing a picture swap?   I tried using the Site/Open Site to save my sites and I am still having the same error message pop up every time.  I have tried starting from scratch in a new file and I am still having the same problem.  I really wish someone could help me fix this problem...
    Friday, October 15, 2010 4:22 AM
  • Try CSS Play:

http://www.cssplay.co.uk/

Some great CSS code samples.

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Friday, October 15, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Create two images with no text, one for the regular background and one for the rollover background. Then create a style for your hyperlinks that has the height and width of the images in the definition and the button image set as the background with norepeat. Create a style for the :hover pseudoclass with the background you want to show on rollover.

If you set the line-height of the "button" class to the same as the background image that will center your button text vertically and text-align: center will center it horizontally. 

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com & Expression Web forums
    Friday, October 15, 2010 2:02 PM