What would cause failure of a 'Container should never be null' assertion failure when opening a screen? RRS feed

• Question

• The Lightswitch Silverlight client sticking this in a dialogue a dialogue when I open a new screen: http://i.imgur.com/7ZyAxYe.jpg

What is going on here?

This looks to be a runtime contract failure during layout of the screen.

Any ideas on how I would debug this?

Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I would like to reproduce your issue to troubleshoot, however it is unsuccessful to create the project like yours. Please provide us more detail and it will be very helpful.

Yunjie Pei
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Hi Yunji,

What information do you require in particular?

Monday, August 12, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Hi nickmiller,

Could you please provide us some of your code ? Besides, a description of creating the project and the operation before the error appearing are both needed.

Apprecriate your understanding and support.

Yunjie Pei
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:53 AM
  • I have the same issue, any resolution?

Scott

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:35 PM
  • There is definitely a bug in the Silverlight client with VS2013 pre-March'14 update and still in Update 2. It afflicts every LightSwitch project I have tested (new/upgraded) but has proved difficult to track down (so far).

I get apps freezing, out-of-memory errors, weird ui screen tab behaviour too.

I can get this problem relatively easily in a test Contoso project and I will spend some time now isolating the problem. I already have a promising suspect.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 11:27 AM
  • Found the problem, it was already reported and 'Closed' (but 'deferred').

Lightswitch Cosmopolitan shell crashes while Lightswitch standard does not

For some reason I thought this was 'fixed' but it appears not to be in VS2013 Update 2.

Can anyone from LightSwitch team explain why it is closed? There are no comments explaining why.

Scott and Nick, can you verify whether or not this could be your UI corruption problem too.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Edited by Xpert360 Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:39 PM
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Dave,

Unfortunately, I cannot verify.  I am getting this error on a specific computer (win 7, ie), other computers run the app without the error.  It is an upgraded from VS2012 project to VS2013 Update2.  It appears that my issue may be computer specific, but it may be a specific configuration that exhibits this error.  The app is deployed enterprise wide and haven't had any other indications of this error.

I will keep watching this thread in case it may contain a fix.

Scott

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:32 PM
  • Any update on this?  (did update 3 fix it?)
    Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:33 PM
  • I am still having this issue, anyone ever find a solution?
    Monday, September 22, 2014 11:02 PM