Windows 8 will only duplicate displays.

Question

• I have a Sony Vaio  Model # VGN-AR825E.  

I installed the windows 7 drivers from the sony support site for my Nvidia Geforce 8400m GT. 

My problem, however, is that I'm using an external display, while my laptop remains under the table.  Sort of using it as a desktop from time to time.  Though, when I want to set it so that only one monitor displays, it repeatedly resets to 'duplicate these displays'.  Nothing I do works to get it to the desired result, even when setting it in the Nvidia display control panel...

Sunday, January 22, 2012 11:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello jackstersona,

Does the display work when using the laptop monitor and not using the external display?

I suggest you try installing the Windows 7 drivers for the network adapter in compatiblity mode.

You may be able to install drivers that are designed for other versions of Windows by using the compatibility troubleshooter.
    You can try this troubleshooter by:
    ·          Enter the Start screen
    ·          Move your mouse to the bottom left of the screen to expand the Charms section
    ·          Select Search
    ·          Type Compatibility
    ·          Click Settings in the right column
    ·          Click Run programs made for previous versions of Windows 

Then follow the prompts and direct the troubleshooter to the installer for your computer's driver/drivers.

Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:19 AM
  • I still have the same result.  The screen goes black on both displays, shows on the laptop for a second, and then appears on both screens asking if I'd like to keep these settings.  
    Monday, January 23, 2012 2:48 AM
  • You didn't state whether it works if you display on the laptop monitor and not on the external monitors.
    Please let us know.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:44 AM
  • Oh, yes, of course.  It does work, I just prefer the larger screen when I'm at home.  It's plugged in via a standard monitor cable the kind you screw in.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 3:52 AM
  • Hello jackstersona,

Does the display work when using ...
    Let us know if this helps.

Marilyn

Microsoft Answers has sent me to MSDN, wherein ... Windows! I am seeking to input development ideas, but not a developer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/multiple-themes-one-slideshow/96df029f-397f-4259-8d66-3a6c292c8f64?page=1&tm=1327278754549#footer

Platform is i5-2500K  board also intel has 16GB which amazingly is all handed over to Win7-64, unable to manage and hence currently running MSE and Norton360 side-by-side to avoid HK-User numeric calamity ... your guess is way beter than mine.

Essential dev request for Microsoft for Win8 platform is User gloss requiring internal build overhaul

• How do we CREATE a Personal Theme, since there is no Windows 'create' button?
    • How do we STRETCH each theme picture to fill all displays in one multi-display background?
    • How do we STRETCH each theme picture to fit each display in multiple multi-display backgrounds?
    • How do we ADD pictures to an existing local theme?
    • How do we select two or more themes to CHAIN slideshows/soundscapes/behaviors together, one after the other?
    • How do we ADD local pictures to a static or dynamic online theme collection for only local display?
    • How do we UPLOAD local pictures to a static online theme?
    • How do we UPLOAD local pictures to a dynamic online theme?
    • How do we PUBLISH (aka create and distribute) a dynamic online themepack/gallery using Microsoft Expression Web?
      Why not an all or selection filename alpha sort, mobile device integration ... and so on.

TIA for sending this where it may go.

Monday, January 23, 2012 5:36 AM
  • I'm sorry, what?  This has nothing to do with the topic.
    Monday, January 23, 2012 6:39 AM
  • Please go to the NVIDIA site, it gives a more recent driver 2011 driver as compared to Sony site with a 2008 released driver.  If it doesn't work, you may try to install it in compatibility mode as detailed above.
    Irfan
    Monday, January 23, 2012 1:33 PM
  • Nothing I do works to get it to the desired result, even when setting it in the Nvidia display control panel...

Ask nVidia?   Otherwise what settings (resolutions, refresh rate, etc.) are you trying to get?   FWIW my guess would be that you might have to start low, get it working at that setting and then, while it is "Display Only" at that less desirable setting try to go higher.   A related approach would be to see what settings are chosen for both displays if you try to go  Extended with them.   How big is the memory on that card?...  512MB   That should be enough.    ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, January 23, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Nothing I do works to get it to the desired result, even when setting it in the Nvidia display control panel...

Ask nVidia?   Otherwise what settings (resolutions, refresh rate, etc.) are you trying to get?   FWIW my guess would be that you might have to start low, get it working at that setting and then, while it is "Display Only" at that less desirable setting try to go higher.   A related approach would be to see what settings are chosen for both displays if you try to go  Extended with them.   How big is the memory on that card?...  512MB   That should be enough.    ; )

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I have 256 mb of dedicated Video Memory.

I also tried both of these options.  I'm pretty sure it's not a driver problem, as Nvidia tells me that I need to download the drivers from Sony (which I did), though I also downloaded the specific driver from Nvidia.  All I get, however, is a message saying that my hardware is incompatible with the driver update (I call bull).  Anyways, I'm pretty sure this is a Windows 8 specific problem, as all other operating systems (including linux) have not had this problem.

Monday, January 23, 2012 4:45 PM
  • Any ideas?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:21 AM
  • Really sucks that I can't get this fixed.
    Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:06 PM
  • Hey Jacksterona,

For the driver provided in the site linked below:
    Sony eSupport - NVIDIA Graphics Controller Update

Try following these steps when you install the driver:

• Save the driver to your computer
    • Right click the driver installer .EXE file
    • Click Troubleshoot compatibility
    • Click Troubleshoot program
    • Check the The program worked in earlier versions of Windows but won't install or run now box
    • Click Next
    • Select Windows Vista (Service Pack 2)
    • Click Next

Then continue with the troubleshooter to see if it can help the driver to install properly.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 1:20 AM