SL Client: VS 2012 Update 2 not responding when creating a new search screen based on modeled query with lots of filters and params RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to create  a new search screen based on a modeled query that has many filters and parameters, VS 2012 Update 2, lsv3 SL project, I get the white screen Visual Studio is Not Responding.  The only solution so far has been to remove all the filters, create the screen, then add the filters back in, then manually create the corresponding screen parameters.  This is terribly inefficient for development.  It is bad enough how much the IDE lags out (white screen) in general, but now it doesn't even create screens... 
    • Edited by Hessc Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Hessc,

I'm sorry to hear about that. Are you able to duplicate this? If so, can you provide me detailed steps to see if I can figure out what is going on?

Thanks

Pierson

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:39 PM
  • Pierson,

Thanks for your response.  I will work on steps to repro and post back later.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Steps to reproduce:

1. Connect to external database that has at least one table with more than ~60 columns, with an int PK, several foreign keys.
    2. Create a new modeled query and add a few sort expressions.
    3. Create a new modeled query with ~50 filters and ~50 parameters of every different type (int, date, string, money, Boolean etc.) and base this query off of the sort query from step 2.
    4. Create a new search screen based on the query from step 3.  At this point my VS2012 update 2 freezes indefinitely.  This did not occur prior to update 2.
    5. Additional info.  If I remove the filters from the query in step 3, but keep all the parameters, I can create the screen without issue.  If I later go back and add all the filters to the query, after the screen has been created, the next time I open the screen designer, VS freezes again.  This is a serious problem, at least for me.  This occurring on an I5 4GB Dell laptop.  Not exactly a monster, but it is a work machine and the one I need to use for this project.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, May 9, 2013 1:54 AM