none
Getting Error 168 with EF code first RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I don't know why I am getting this error! I am using the default connection provider. I am confused, could it be because of not properly setting entities configurations with fluent api? And I also use EF power tools extension to see the model, but every thing is fine except this !!! I mean If my model had some logical errors EF PowerTools wouldn't be able to generate the model diagram for me...

Error 1 Error 168: The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance.

The provider did not return a ProviderManifest instance.

C:\Users\****\AppData\Local\Temp\TicketingContext.edmx 396 7 Miscellaneous Files

• Edited by Hadi Amiri Monday, August 11, 2014 2:39 PM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 12:10 PM

Answers

• Hello,

What operation does it cause this error? Please describe it with us. I am confused because you said you are using code first while I see there is an edmx file in your provide code because as far as I know, with the code first approach, it does not generate this file even using the EF Power Tool to create a code first approach application from an existing database.

Since we do not exactly know what happens to you, I could only provide some information regarding this error:

It might be caused by if the login information for the database isn't valid or if the server isn't found or is behind a firewall (basically, your program can't connect to the database). And please check if there is an inner exception, if there is, please also share it with us.

Also, are you using SQL or Windows authentication? If you're using SQL authentication, try adding integrated security=False to your connection string.

Considering that you have an edmx file, if its ProviderManifestToken is 2012, changing it to 2008 and have a try to do your operation.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Hadi Amiri Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:08 AM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:38 AM

All replies

• What provider are you using? Is your machine.config file corrupted?

Please mark as answer, if this was it. Visit my SQL Server Compact blog http://erikej.blogspot.com

Monday, August 11, 2014 12:28 PM
  • Hi!

I have a class library, and a MVC application that is using that class library, which includes all the entities and context, I haven't touched any of app.config file nor web.config

unfortunately I don't have access to Dev PC right know to check these files but I am sure that I haven't touched config files

System.Data.SqlClient
    • Edited by Hadi Amiri Monday, August 11, 2014 2:35 PM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Hello,

What operation does it cause this error? Please describe it with us. I am confused because you said you are using code first while I see there is an edmx file in your provide code because as far as I know, with the code first approach, it does not generate this file even using the EF Power Tool to create a code first approach application from an existing database.

Since we do not exactly know what happens to you, I could only provide some information regarding this error:

It might be caused by if the login information for the database isn't valid or if the server isn't found or is behind a firewall (basically, your program can't connect to the database). And please check if there is an inner exception, if there is, please also share it with us.

Also, are you using SQL or Windows authentication? If you're using SQL authentication, try adding integrated security=False to your connection string.

Considering that you have an edmx file, if its ProviderManifestToken is 2012, changing it to 2008 and have a try to do your operation.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Hadi Amiri Saturday, August 16, 2014 7:08 AM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 5:38 AM